The Third Week

Enter the third week.  And by the way, I'm not counting the near impossibility of writing on weekends!  You know, those days where you would rather be doing anything-and I mean anything-but writing.  At first, having to sit still and write while everyone else gets to go outside the constraining walls of their homes and play reminds you of your days in elementary school.

You know the ones: you've committed some third grade atrocity, and now you're having to sit inside and write "I will not talk" or something along those lines while everyone else is outside enjoying the beautiful sunny day, climbing on jungle gyms and sliding on slides, or, if in the winter months, while all the other "good" kids get to build snowmen and throw snowballs at each other.  You'd be happy just to throw a few at the teacher who put you in this situation in the first place!

Like I said before, though, weekends or not, no excuses!  If you're going to get to the finish line with all your hair -not to mention your story-in tact, then you've got to mean business with yourself...even on weekends.

Now, back to the third week of production.  Okay, so you're flying high and feeling pretty good about yourself.  By now you're telling all your friends about your endeavor to become the next great novelist and basking in their praises.  I can be generous here and allow you a bit of pride.  If you're working hard, you deserve it.

But only a bit.

Don't hate me, please.  You've got to remember, you can't let yourself get distracted.  Enjoy yourself...but only for as long as it takes for you to get to the next writing session, which should be as close as possible to the same time every day.  Don't stop for praise.  When all is said and done and the words are on the page, praise won't win you the prize.  The words themselves are praise-and prize-enough.

>>> More to come soon, so stay tuned & thanks for reading!