Chapter 8

Poppy and the rest of the snack pack followed the tracks, hoping to find Branch at the end of them.

     "I hope he's ok," Poppy mumbled softly to herself, worrying about Branch.
"Don't worry, Poppy," Biggie said, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure he's fine."
"Mew," Mr. Dinkles suggested.

     Biggie gasped in shock at his pet worms words.

     "Don't say that!" Biggie yelled, glaring at Mr. Dinkles. "I'm sure they don't have him cooking over an open fire." Poppy gasped, her eyes widening in horror.

     "Branch!?" she called out in a desperate tone. "Where are you!?"

Suddenly, there was a rustling in the bushes behind them.

     They all turned quickly, looking to see what could be making the sound.

"Branch?" Poppy called out. "Is that you."

     Suddenly, a little head poked out of the bush, looking over at them.

     "Are you guys ok?" Rainbow asked in a soft voice, looking around to make sure there were no threats nearby. "Anyone hurt?" Gumdrop questioned, sticking her head out as well.

"Umm... yeah..." Poppy said a little confused, not recognizing these two young trolls. "We're fine. But... who are you guys?"

     "I'm Rainbow," Rainbow answered.
"And I'm Gumdrop," Gumdrop said with a smile.

They stepped out of the bush, walking over to the group of trolls.

"You guys are trolls..." Poppy observed. "But I don't know you. I know every troll in the village."
"Oh..." Rainbow said. "You must mean troll village. We've heard about that place, but have never been there."
"What do you mean?" Satin asked.
"Where do you guys live?" Chenille finished.

     "We live in troll meadow," Gumdrop informed.
"You see..." said Rainbow. "Back when the trolls were free, we all lived together, but when the Bergens attacked, only a few trolls escaped."
"Our ancestors were the trolls who escaped," Gumdrop continued. "They started a new civilization away from the Bergens. When we heard the rest of the trolls had escaped the Bergens years later, we tried to find you guys. To connect our tribes together, but we couldn't. We searched everywhere, but saw no signs of you. Until now."

"So... you guys were never prisoners of the Bergens?" Dj asked. Rainbow and Gumdrop shook their heads in response.

"Well... I'm glad we found you," Poppy said with a smile.
"Technically, Poppy..." Smidge whispered to her. "They found us."
"What ever," Poppy shrugged. "The point is... maybe you can help us."

     "Oh no!" Gumdrop panicked. "Are you being chased by a Bergen!?"
"Come with us!" Rainbow said, grabbing Poppy's wrist and trying to lead her away. "We'll keep you safe."

     "No," Poppy said, shaking her head, as she pulled away. "We're actually looking for our friend."
"Friend?" Gumdrop gasped, looking at Rainbow.
"You don't think they're talking about the creature..." Rainbow whispered to her sister. "Do you?"
"Creature? What Creature?" Poppy asked, looking at the two young trolls.

"The creature we captured last night," Rainbow explained.
"He claims to be a troll, but he's far too different to be telling the truth," Gumdrop said. "He likes being alone!" Rainbow added, both of them shuddering.
"That's Branch!" Poppy yelled, her eyes widening in shock. "Please! You've gotta take us to him!"

They looked at each other for a moment, worried looks on their faces, and then finally turned back to the snack pack.

     "I don't think the chief will allow it..." Rainbow said, fiddling nervously with her fingers. "Yeah... prisoners on death row aren't usually aloud to have visitors," Gumdrop added.

     "Death row!?" Poppy gasped in horror. "No, no, no! There must be some kind of mistake! Please! Let us talk to your chief. We'll explain everything. Please!"

Gumdrop and Rainbow looked at each other again, and then finally nodded.

"Ok," Gumdrop said.
"Follow us," Rainbow finished.

In Troll Meadow
———————————

"Come on," Branch grumbled, twisting scissors in the lock of the cage. "I've gotta get out of here."

The scissors clicked in the lock, a smile breaking out on Branch's face.

     "Yes! Got it!" he shouted out in victory.

He put the scissors back into his hair, swinging the cage door open quickly.

     As the door opened, a sudden alarm began going off.

     "Ahh..." he cowered, covering his ears, the loud sound shaking his eardrums.

     Suddenly, trolls came running out of the bushes, all of them holding pointy spears.

"He's trying to escape!" one of them yelled.
"Get him!"

They started to run towards Branch, and he turned, quickly running away from them.

"AHHHHH!" he screamed, running for his life, his arms stretched out in front of him.

He ran as fast as he could, beginning to lose the trolls chasing him.

"Ha!" he laughed, mocking them. "Peace out, losers!"

Suddenly, he stepped in a loop of rope laying on the ground, which tightened around his ankle, lifting him up into the air.

"AHHHHH!" he screamed, flying upwards.

He dangled upside down, swinging slightly, as the trolls approached, holding their spears aimed at his head.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" he begged, as they surrounded him. "Please! I just wanna go home!"

     "Your not going anywhere," the troll from before said, as she walked closer to Branch. She pocked him with her staff, sending him spinning in circles.

"Ughhhhh!" he screamed, getting dizzy. "Stooooooop!"

     She stopped him from spinning, looking him in the eyes. "I think I finally figured out what we're going to do with you," she smirked.

     Branch gulped, his eyes wide, as he stared at her in fear.