Chapter 4

"99 friends in the pod that need hugs. 99 friends that need hugs," Branch sang loudly, as he stood on his seat, moving his hands along with the beat. "Take whichever you please, and give the, a squeeze. 98 friends in the pod that need hugs!"

     Everyone stared at Branch, as he sang, raising an eyebrow.

     "Oh my gah... what is he doing?" Smidge asked, in a whisper.
"I have no idea," Poppy whispered back.

     "Mew," Mr. Dinkles suggested.
"Mr. Dinkles!" Biggie yelled in shock, covering his pet worm's mouth. "Where on earth did you learn that word!?"

     "Come on guys!" Branch yelled out with a smile. "Why is no one singing? 98 friends in the pod that need hugs. 98 friends that need hugs. Take whichever you please and give them, a squeeze. 97 friends in the pod that need hugs!"

2 hours later
—————————

     "1 friend in the pod that need hugs. 1 friend that need hugs!" Branch continued to sing, everyone covering their ears in annoyance. "Take whichever you please, and give them a squeeze. 0 friends in the pod that need hugs!"

     Everyone sighed with relief, glad that the song was finally over.

     "Let's sing it again!" Branch shouted out joyfully. "99 friends in the pod that need hugs. 99 friends that need hugs..."
"Oh my gah! Shut up!" Smidge shouted out in anger, practically pulling her hair out of her head.

Branch's smile faded, as he looked around at everyone glaring at him angrily. "Oh..." he said softly, his ears drooping a bit. "Uh... sorry."

He sat down in his seat, leaning his head against the window, as he sighed in sadness. Even when he tried to be normal... he was still just a freak, no one liked...

     Slowly, he took his hug watch out of his hair, holding it gently in his hands, as he stared down at it, a single teardrop falling from his eye.

     Poppy looked at him, noticing his sad expression, and then went over, sitting down next to him.

     Quickly, he stuffed the hug watch back into his hair before she could see it.

     "What's wrong, Branch?" Poppy asked softly, knowing there was something going on.

     He faked a smile, looking over at her, trying his best to hide his sadness.

     "Nothing," he lied. "I'm super happy, see!?" He pointed at his fake smile, laughing quietly.

     Poppy wasn't convinced. She glared at him, shaking her head, as she crossed her arms.

      "Fine," Branch sighed, his fake smile instantly fading away. "I... I'm just trying to be normal. Like you all want me to be..." He looked away sadly, closing his eyes gently.

     Poppy looked at him wide eyed, shocked at what he was saying.

     "Branch..." she said softly, looking at him in disbelief. Why was he thinking that way? "No one wants you to be anything other than yourself. You're perfect the way you are."

     He shook his head, not even looking up at her. His head remained low, his eyes shut, and ears drooping.

     "No I'm not..." he said softly. "I'm a freak. You said so yourself... I'm not normal... and no mater how hard I try... I'll never be normal." He started to cry, feeling bad that he couldn't just be like everyone else.

     Everyone noticed Branch's tears of despair, turning around to look at him in sadness.

     Poppy watched Branch cry, her heart aching seeing how sad her friend was.

     Quickly, she leaned over, hugging him tight, trying to get him to feel better.

     "Everyone is different, Branch..." Poppy whispered to him, rubbing his back comfortingly. "Your differences make you special." Branch looked up at her, tears in his crystal blue eyes. "We all love you, Branch. Exactly the way you are."

     He looked around at everyone, as they smiled at him.

     "Really?" he finally asked, wiping his tears away.
"Totally, bro," Dj said.
"Oh my gah, yes," Smidge said.
"You know it, boooooy," Guy said in auto tune.
"No way. You're a freak," Cooper laughed.

     Everyone turned, glaring at Cooper. He smiled awkwardly, shrinking away a little bit.

     "Don't listen to Cooper," Poppy said, looking back at Branch. "Your special. And you should never try to change who you are, just to fit in."

     Branch smiled, Poppy's words actually making him feel much better.

     "Thank you, Poppy," he said with a slight smile.

     She smiled back, and then leaned over, giving him a hug.

     He looked at her for a moment, and then finally hugged her back, his heart overflowing with love.

     Soon, everyone was joining in on the hug, even Cloud Guy, who had been driving the Caterbus, walked over, wrapping his long blue arms around everyone.

     Branch opened his eyes, his smile fading as he saw Cloud Guy.

     "Uh..." he said. "Who's driving the bus?"

     They all looked over at the empty drivers seat, the wheel spinning out of control.

     "AHHHHH!" they all screamed, as the bus flew over a cliff.