----------------------------------------

Luckily for you, the case Spencer was working on wrapped up faster than either of you anticipated. He was back by the end of the week, only looking slightly more flustered than when he had left.

You were lying in bed, staring out the window in the bedroom when you heard the front door unlock. The room was chilly - it was colder now, and small snowflakes were falling from the sky in slow meandering flakes. The sheets were pulled up around your shoulders, but you turned at the sound of the door.

You could hear his footsteps and the shuffle of his bag and coat as he shed his outer layers. He was trying to be quiet for you, making his movements deliberate, but even as he tried to creep through the house, you heard everything.

Not that you minded in the slightest. You had been awake waiting for him to get home, and the thought of seeing him again after a week lit your insides with warmth.

It was actually adorable how hard he was trying to be quiet. You had your eyes trained on the bedroom door, waiting for him to step through. As he crept up to it, and the creak rang out as he pushed it open, you could just make out the guilty expression on his face at the loud noise.

On your face was a huge grin.

As soon as he saw you were awake and watching him, his face softened. The corners of his lips pulled into a smile.

"Hi," he cooed, "it's me."

You moved to sit up in bed so you could see him better. He was looking at you like you'd hung the stars in the sky.

"Welcome home, baby."

You didn't think it was possible, but you saw the smitten look on his face intensify. He came to your side of the bed with his arms outstretched. You matched his movements, wrapping your arms tight around his shoulders the moment he was close enough. Breathing in the smell of him that you missed so much, you tucked your head into his shoulder. Instantly, you were warm all over.

His presence was like a soft fire that seeped into the deepest parts of you, warming you up with a single touch.

Before you could snuggle into him further, he pulled his head back just far enough to kiss you. You missed how good his lips felt on yours.

"I missed you," he whispered in between kisses. Your hands dragged over his curly mop of hair pulling him closer. Somehow, he tasted better than you remembered. Had it only been a week? "And I love you," his mouth was back on yours.

The kiss was slow and gentle. Both of you wanted it to last as long as possible. He trapped your lip between his teeth, giving it a tug when he pulled away. It was enough to make you ache for more.

You whined when he released you, and he chuckled.

"Did you miss me that much?" he smiled.

In your sleepy state you nodded, a smile painting your cheeks. "I missed you more than you know. And I love you even more than that."

Spencer went over to the closet, and you watched his back as he began pulling off his clothes from work. Surprisingly, his movements were fluid at this hour. Getting back into the field had done him some good. He seemed more alert and awake despite the very early flight home. It was probably a mix of being over tired and the high after returning to the field after a month away.

But once he had his boxers and a t-shirt on, and he stumbled back over to his side of the bed, pulling you tight to his chest, you knew something was bothering him. More than he'd let on. His face was nuzzled into the side of your neck, and his arms held you in a tight grip like you were his own life-sized teddy bear.