21. The Future

A/N: Hiiii! This is a shorter chapter than I'm used to writing but I hope you all like it despite that and won't mind :) Happy September my babes

Warnings: I mention a case about kidnapping and child trafficking but it's just a mention, breeding/impregnation kink, unprotected sex/vaginal penetration, creampie, assisted masturbation (both male and female), daddy kink, humping, handjob, spit as lube, discussion about having kids

Chapter Summary: While Spencer is back at work, Reader contemplates her own career. The two of them talk about what their life in the future might hold.

Word Count: 5.9k

----------------------------------------

You knew this day was coming up, you just didn't think it would come so soon. Time passed quicker when you were spending it with the person you loved.

Spencer was going back to work.

Honestly, it scared you.

You were so used to having him home. You spent days laughing with him, kissing him, sharing sleepy smiles, and knowing glances. You found yourself tangled up with him every night. Days were filled with love and an easy routine. The sabbatical had been a huge blessing, and before it started, you had no idea you'd appreciate it this much.

And now that he was going back to work, you hadn't realized how much anxiety the thought brought you. His job was dangerous - lots of things were often uncertain. He risked his life every time he went into the field.

It terrified you that the happiest days you spent with him might become no more than memories that you longed for after they had gotten withered by age.

But you weren't the only one who was worried. Although he never mentioned it, you knew that he too was anxious about going back. Life at home was comfortable, and both of you were enjoying it. And in light of Emily calling you two out on the phone, you knew his worry was probably just as great as yours.

At least you didn't have to look Emily in the eye any time soon.

You also knew a bigger part of him was excited. He loved the work he did. It saved lives, and he was a huge part of that. Even more, he loved his team and he missed them. They missed him too, and you knew the BAU was eager to have their beloved pretty boy back on deck.

When you thought about the work he did, a certain kind of jealousy struck you. The kind that was more filled with longing than with envy. His job made a difference for others, and he enjoyed every bit of what he did. It was fulfilling.

It made you realize that you wanted that too.

Working at the store with Martha was great, but it wasn't something you wanted to do forever. It was a job far more suited to someone who wanted to work rotating shifts or climb the hierarchical ladder of administration in retail.

You had a master's degree in chemistry.

That was what you loved. Not rearranging shelves or using your customer service persona that never seemed to end.

The store was a sort of safety net, though. You'd been there so long, working with your best friend, and it was familiar. You had a routine that you liked and could rely on.

And so you were torn at the thought of staying at a job where you felt comfortable, with your best friend, close to home; or doing what you would be passionate about, exploring the options that your degree gave you, and feeling a sense of pride for what you were doing.

When you thought about it for longer than a few seconds though, your head began to spin. There were too many possibilities to think over and so much that could sway your opinion. You wanted to talk to Spencer about it before you made any decisions. He would give you the advice you were after.