Chapter Sixty-Seven

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I believe so. Mr. Brummell said he would tell him; however, Mr. Brummell has not sought me out either. I hope nothing bad has happened to them."

"The night is still young. There is still time."

Clara hoped Richard was right. She took her time to enjoy the meal set before her. She knew she could not avoid the dance floor for very long. Clara disliked dancing with partners she did not know. She imagined if she ever made it to her coming-out ball, she would be in the same circumstance. Still, there was something unnerving about not seeing their faces.

Immediately upon returning to the ballroom, Clara was asked to dance again. She left Richard and moved to the dance floor. The dance was a waltz, causing the man to hold her in much closer proximity. She did not mind dancing the waltz with Benjamin, but it felt far too intimate to dance this way with someone else.

"You look lovely tonight, Lady Bentley."

Clara knew in that instant that it was Mr. Banks that she was dancing with.

"Thank you," Clara said, although she knew it sounded terse.

"I'm so glad you have come back into society. I was quite heartbroken when you left so abruptly before."

"I meant no offense, Mr. Banks. I was young and confused. I had followed where my heart led me."

"To the convent?" Mr. Banks asked, disbelief clear in his tone. "Your faith must be strong to have chosen the nunnery over marriage at such a young age, but it seems you are more suited for this life."

"My faith has never let me down, Mr. Banks, but I believe you are right. I am meant for something more."

"On that, we agree. I wish to renew our acquaintance if the thought is agreeable to you," Mr. Banks proposed.

"I can always use another friend," Clara said, but she did not like the way Mr. Banks held her with possession and she could not wait for the dance to end that she may retreat from him.

"Like you, Lady Bentley, I too believe I am meant for so much more, that we are meant to be so much more."

Clara was grateful for the mask that concealed her immediate revulsion to the idea. "We shall see," was all Clara offered, but it would seem her answer pleased Mr. Banks.

He requested the next dance before their first ended but Clara lied and said she promised it to her brother. Mr. Banks bowed graciously when the song had ended and Clara made a quick retreat to her brother's side.

He was speaking with someone. From the man's build and mannerisms, Clara knew it was Mr. Brummell. She had spent so much time with him recently, he could not be mistaken for anyone else.

"Clara, you look divine, as I knew you would in that gown. A beautiful butterfly in this magical garden the Queen has created for you."

"The Queen is not here, or at least she has not made her presence known."

"I doubt she would attend. Lady Pembrook is here to inform her on this evening's activity and I am certain she has not missed a thing."

"Lady Pembrook will have very little to report. Benjamin is still not here."

Even though masked, Clara could tell this news was no surprise to Mr. Brummell, and he appeared as concerned as she.

"I've heard nothing Clara. I've checked all his usual haunts, with some of his informants. No one has seen or heard from him in days. I pray I am wrong but I don't think he is coming, but you have nothing to worry about." Mr. Brummell was quick to add, "You are the belle of the ball, just as the Queen expected. She will be very pleased with you and if Benjamin is missing, she would know why so she could not be cross with him."