Bonfire XII: Upward & Onward

Start from the beginning

"Now, onto today's closing announcement..."

The students felt a unified hush overtake them. Many of the first years wore a face of anticipation. Dozens, maybe more, pairs of eyes were bright and gleaming, eager for the professor to continue. This had been the news they awaited all class period...

"As many of you are aware, the Vytal festival will be held in Vale. The festival will include amusement rides, kingdom sponsored parades, student driven dance and art exhibitions, cultural exhibitions, and of course… the Combat Tournaments."

...And they, the students, had not been disappointed. Several of the children began to cheer, immediately halting when the professor subsequently locked eyes with each. Silenced, they could only listen onwards obediently as they practically started to jump from their seats. This festival was their chance to prove themselves and team to not only Beacon, but to the entirety of Vale and Remnant. 

"Participation in each event is strictly voluntary, though heavily encouraged. Teams may participate individually or collectively, though these conditions will vary depending on the event. This year's combat class will be focused primarily on preparing you all for the Vytal Tournament."

In the history of each academy, "participation" was used lightly. Never before had a student rejected to partake in the event, regardless of being a first or fourth year. Even if combat based activities interested them naught, there had been dozens of other equally interesting events. In fact, it was considered taboo to not plan to attend.

"On a final note, please remember that whether you are participating or not, each of you will be representing Vale and Beacon as a whole for the rest of Remnant to see. As such, I and the rest of your professors expect nothing short of your best behavior."

That much was true. The students held the opportunity to make themselves out to be admirable or capable to other academies. A good impression would go far, likely and hopefully resulting in other governmental bodies sponsoring the teams for proof of skill in their fields. Pyrrha Nikos though, was among the few to already have a following and trove of eager contractors…

Many of the hunters in training felt their mind drift away to having a shot at Pyrrha's level of skill and fame, even if they knew it was a rigorous trial of obtaining.

"The year has only begun. The first day of four long years. When in doubt, turn to one another. You are all a team. Always do your best to grow and adapt to this world around you. And of course, never forget why you are here doing what you are doing."

"Class dismissed."

...

...

Team RWBY left the amphitheater, the champion of ash accompanying the group. The leader, Ruby, danced throughout the hallway as she sang. Yang and Blake both smiled and fought back a brief fit of laughter at the girl's ever continuing antics, wondering if they should join in. Weiss on the other hand, shook her head as she covered her face from second hand embarrassment.

"Heya Asche!" Ruby cheered, skipping as she lightly pulled at "Asche's" arm. "Are you gonna enter into the combat tournament?"

As they walked, the champion glanced toward the girl who clung to his arm. The tournament seemed uninteresting. His grades would be unaffected, and he was notorious for stage fright long ago. He gave Ruby a sympathetic pat with his free arm, shaking his head remorsefully. From the corner of his eye, he saw a huffing Weiss withdraw a nail file from her bag, likely distracting herself from… something.