Chapter 7 - Moonlight

Aster was now holding her lantern, quietly walking alone in the middle of the forest. Though she did not mind the nature's silence, yet, she did not favor the complete darkness that engulfed the woods. She was glad that at least the moon was now accompanying her, following her in every foot steps.

She recalled previous events after they returned to the Moominhouse from the forest. Moomin's parents welcomed them happily, only to be greeted by their heavy faces. Aster thought, probably the spirit's memories made them gloomy. She felt bad that they just have to face it so suddenly. Snorkmaiden may probably be traumatized. Sniff may felt unwilling to join her again. Deep inside, she wanted to apologize to all of them.

During their dinner time together, Snufkin retold what has happened from the orb to the memories and lastly, to Aster. Both Moominmama and Moominpapa was shocked to hear. He then said that those were probably the spirits from people who used to live around here. Probably a hundreds- or even a thousands of years. Somehow, Little My got excited, wondering if there's still many unrest spirits that were now wondering in the forest. Then again, remembering how it affected Aster, she crossed out the idea, feeling bad.

Aster still remembered Moominpapa's words clearly, saying how her role might be connected to anything spiritual, as she can initially listened and noticed their existence. Snufkin also agreed, connecting all the clues from their vision to her ability to see these supernatural beings. He even added the fact that she can sort of communicate with him through telepathy. 

After their dinner ended, the Moomins bid Aster and Snufkin good night. Sniff, Little My and Snorkmaiden somehow ended up staying at their house. As quoted by Little My, ''Sniff was too scared to sleep alone but he won't admit it.'' She wasn't that scared honestly. But Snorkmaiden wanted her to accompany her.

Truth be told, Aster hasn't quite did some planning for tonight. She forgot the fact that Snufkin and her will be walking in the same direction. She doesn't even have a place to stay. Snufkin who looked at her, somehow understood. He told her she can stay at his tent for the time being, mentally noting to teach her how to set a tent the next day. 

However, that added up another problem. She did planned to go back to the forest at midnight, preferably alone. Glancing to her right, she was worried that Snufkin won't allow her. Her realization hit her that Snufkin was becoming more concern of her well-being, even though he might be subtle at times. She was somehow right. She decided to just tell him the truth and Snufkin's reaction was predictable. He stopped walking and stared silently at her, judging as if she went insane.  Unexpectedly, he did not stop her, but recommend her to return back as soon as possible. If better, telling her to stay away from going too far ahead. She agreed.

⊱ ───────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ───────── ⊰

Now, here she was, carrying his lantern while looking around the forest. It was indeed, quite chilling as she was not used to this place. It's just the darkness, she said. Just imagine it's daytime, she said, mentally convincing herself over and over again. At one point, she flinched when a squirrel ran passed her.

She tried to focus back, not wanting to end up here for too long. Taking a deep breath, she then listened carefully to her surrounding. Then she heard it. 

The wind chime.

She then slowly approached towards the sound, careful in her footsteps, holding the lantern more tightly. Not far too long, she saw it. 

The blue orb.

It was more beautiful at night, she realized, awed at how bright it was.