"I've done none of that. I've been here since I was a boy. I have no accent to mask. And I don't understand what this argument is meant to accomplish?"

"I don't like him either," I said.

"Why would I care?"

"Why wouldn't you?"

Cyrus was just as lost as I was, my words taking us onto a wild ride that had quickly lost its meaning. His face contorted in ways I'd never seen another person make at me, and then he moaned. "...You are too kind to monopolize my time so close to your evening. Go. Dance. Have fun and by God leave me be."

I bristled. "I'm only trying to be friendly, Lord-."

"I'm not a lord," he said. "Stop calling me that."

"Not a?" I paused, my mouth opening at the fact. After a moment it added; "But-"

"It's just Cyrus," he said. "Rarely 'Mr. Evergreen.'"

And then I was aware of it. The massive moat that stood between us. He was less concerned about who my father was, and more bothered by who his wasn't. Did I do so little to connect with others that he could think that mattered to me? I felt ashamed, unable to find a means to respond.

"Enjoy your evening," he said.

If I had been any other woman in the land, I would've followed after him. Apologized for the brashness of my demeanor. For belittling him somehow in assuming he was of higher birthright than he was. But if I were any other woman, I would not have been so cold in the first place. So belligerent in my own vanity. So offended by how little he'd paid it attention.

I was such a brat.

"Well that was rather peculiar," I closed the door behind me

"What was?" Josie asked.

She'd been waiting for me at the desk, and as I sat down, I took a deep breath I wasn't aware I'd needed. When I looked up, I watched Cyrus stalk across the yard and disappear into the stables.

"Miss Svana?" she asked.

"Nothing," I muttered. "I'm so excited for tonight. Is it still too soon to get ready?"

She laughed, narrowing her lips into a tight but approvingly smile and shook her head. "Why don't we start with your hair, and then we can see about the dress? I don't want you sitting around in a tight bodice for longer than you have to. Even if it is so very pretty. Corsets are harsh."

"I'm..." I shrugged, trying to dispel Cyrus' agitation from my thoughts. "I'm very curious to see Sameer's reaction. He did buy this, after all. A silly gesture, I think. But a flattering one, the same."

"Aye," she agreed. "He seems very kind. And very eager to impress you."

I hummed coyly. "Oh?"