And because I miss him. It's Thursday, and I won't get to see him until Sunday because of this stupid field trip tomorrow.

"Hey!" I say to Axel through the phone. I've been so good at answering the phone and calling him on-time. After our last fight about the phone calls, I've been trying really hard to answer him and be sensitive to his feelings. I know he worries like I do when I don't pick up, he's just not as vocal about it.

"Hi," Axel's deep voice sounds through the phone.

"As you know, I got out early from school today. Larry's still fucking working, so I'm just going to walk home by myself," I say to him. "I'm bored," I pout.

"By yourself? Call Anya to pick you up," he says. He doesn't sound it, but I know that he doesn't like the idea of me walking home by myself. I know he worries, but nothing is going to happen to me while I walk on Lunar territory. It also doesn't escape my notice that Axel mentions Anya, not Thomas or Dan. He likes me hanging out with a girl more, which is kind of hilarious to me. He gets so jealous sometimes.

"Nah, I don't want to bother her. I can't always call them to pick me up. What kind of friend would I be if all I did was call them for rides? I would be a shithead," I explain to him.

"I don't care how you think you will be perceived. Call her. Now." His ordering me around is annoying but also a turn on. Ultimately, the annoyance wins out.

"Ax, I'm perfectly capable of walking home by myself. I've done it a thousand times, I-" I cut myself off and make a low sound that stems from the back of my throat.

"Cooper?" Axel says on the other line. "Hello?"

My phone hits the floor and I scream out a profanity. "Fucking hell! Ow!" I scream.

"What the hell is happening? Cooper? Talk to me!" Axel's voice is clear and stern. He says something about coming to Lunar territory, so I decide to let him off easy.

I pick up the phone and begin cackling into the microphone.

"Ha! Gotcha. I'm just fucking with you. I'm fine," I smirk.

Axel doesn't say anything on the other line, and I know that he's furious with me for pranking him like this. He needs to loosen up and learn that I'm fine. He's taught me to defend myself, and enemies aren't lining up to take me down like he thinks. He already sent my parents away, and the guys who hurt me a few years ago are dead.

My Alpha was pleased to hear that both incidents occurred. He never liked the way my parents treated me, but as their Alpha he felt like there was nothing he could do to get rid of them without them breaking any actual pack laws. When Axel threatened them, they technically left on their own, and now that they're no longer a part of the Lunar pack, my Alpha is pleased to see them gone. With the guys who hurt me, my Alpha doesn't know any details, but it's obvious that Axel orchestrated their deaths.

Axel finally speaks over the phone.

"Don't do that again. I was seconds away from shifting and coming after you."

Really?

"Shit, I didn't realize you were that close to losing control. But seriously, Axel, I'm fine walking by myself. Don't be so dramatic," I tease him.

"I'm not being dramatic," he says, anger seeping into his voice. "I'm being realistic. Anyone could-"

"Ooh!" I say, cutting him off. As I'm walking, I pass by the Lunar diner. I realize that I'm fucking hungry, and since I got out of school early, I can go eat a late lunch. It will be boring by myself, but I'll scarf down my food and then leave. I don't want to make a boring sandwich at home.