seventeen

Cooper's POV

After my phone call with Axel, I let out a huge sigh of relief. I could feel every muscle in my body relax as I practically melted into the bed in Larry's guest room. Axel thankfully believed me when I shared that the issue with my parents wasn't a big deal. It was something I would eventually have to inform him of, but for right now I can avoid the topic entirely.

Thank fuck.

Also, thanks to my quick wit I was able to think up an excuse as to why I didn't answer the phone the first time. Granted, that shit didn't really work out in my favor because Alpha Grayson overheard. That may be more embarrassing than the middle school talent show where I accidentally set the stage on fire. It's not my fault that the teachers couldn't keep up with my directions!

I fell asleep pretty easily that night after speaking with Axel, and the next day also went by fairly quickly. Larry was being his usual self- sassy, moody, and nasty- which was a big relief. I wouldn't want him to tiptoe around me because of the shitty situation I'm in.

Laine has been incredibly sweet, which is actually really strange for me. I'm not used to having a motherly figure take care of me, ask how I'm doing all the time, and offer to buy me my favorite snacks- obviously I accepted and asked for poptarts.

On Monday, Larry went with me to the pack house. He spoke with the Alpha and Beta about my situation, and thankfully I didn't have to say much. I'm usually pretty talkative, but I didn't want to repeat every awful thing my parents said to me and explain that my parents kicked me out because I'm gay.

That shit is embarrassing.

Alpha William and Beta Alicia looked furious, and I knew that Alicia would tell Thomas about what happened because there are no secrets between most mates. I'm honestly fine with that. Better he hears it from her so I don't have to think about it.

The more I think about it, the more depressed I'm going to feel, and the more likely Axel is to pick up on my mood. Thank the fucking goddess that he didn't question me more on my mental breakdown.

The whole thing does feel curious, though. I know that I'm marked and he isn't, but he should be able to feel my emotions to some extent. Even a glimpse into what I was feeling should have been a major red flag for him that something was seriously wrong. Don't twist it, I'm still fucking grateful that Axel is in the dark, but he's pretty smart. He may not understand emotions, but he understands logic. I'm gonna fuck up somewhere and he'll notice any holes in my story.

The "massive shit" excuse is only going to work once.

Alpha William said he would talk to my parents, but he said that unfortunately, there's not a lot he can do. He can offer me a room in the pack house, but after learning of my connection to Axel (which he was very surprised by) he said that waiting it out would be the best solution. Alpha William was disgusted by my parents' reaction to my news, but it's not like he can kick my parents out of the pack for being horrible parents. They would need to break some pack laws in order for that to occur, and I didn't want that to happen anyways.

As soon as I'm done with school at the end of the semester, I'll leave with Axel for Dark Wood. I'm practically shitting myself just thinking about living somewhere new. Everyone's going to love me, that's not what I'm worried about, but it's just strange to move somewhere new after growing up in one place your whole life. I'll have to figure out the closest shopping plazas and supermarkets where I can buy beanies and poptarts.

Since I took yesterday off of school to meet with the Alpha and Beta, I know that I don't really have an excuse not to go to class today. Unfortunately, with the size of our pack, news travels fast. As soon as I walk through the shitty front doors of the high school, people are going to know that I've been marked, and to someone powerful. My mark will give off a dangerous aura to those surrounding me, and my scent will have slightly changed. Basically, I'm going to be the talk of the school.