eleven

Axel's POV

The Alpha wouldn't stop talking. It was quite infuriating how much he talked of his pack, how long he was capable of bragging about his people. If I hadn't discovered my mate yesterday I would have simply walked out of the room and headed back to Dark Wood territory.

I already received all of the necessary information regarding covens, witches, warlocks, and spells that the Lunar Pack could provide- which was not much. It is very difficult to come across detailed information about other supernaturals because it is something each race does not share with another.

After learning nothing of import, Alpha William continued discussing possible alliances between our packs, my experience as a fairly new as well as young Beta, and other mildly private questions.

I believe he feels a level of superiority. He is older than me, in his late thirties or early forties, his dark hair peppered with silver. His eyes crinkled at the sides anytime he smiled or made a completely unnecessary attempt at a joke. I can only assume his goal was to try to smooth over relations with me by making me laugh.

That wouldn't happen.

I very rarely smile, and it is an even rarer sight to hear me laugh. Before yesterday, I could not even recall the last time I had laughed.

Cooper is a delightful addition to my life. He can so freely laugh at the world like it is some big joke, like it is the simplest action to share a smile with others. It is something I admire about him.

I can only thank the Goddess that I will be leaving this pack tomorrow and taking Cooper with me. I never want to interact with this Alpha again. I of course gave Cole direct orders to keep Cooper inside this pack house until this meeting adjourns, but not even five minutes into the meeting a panicked Cole mindlinks me regarding my mate's unwillingness to remain put.

I tell Cole to stay with him and to not force Cooper to remain inside by physical means.

I would have to break every bone in his body if he physically restrained my mate. Only I am allowed to restrain Cooper.

Time passes slowly, and then I find myself in the kitchen as my mate is told to apologize to me. I was able to keep a straight face for most of his apology, but a small smirk wedged its way out.

This is the type of shit I'm talking about- with Cooper around, I can't control my reactions like I used to. Concealing my reactions and hiding my emotions behind a neutral facade was childsplay before, but now it takes a conscious effort to school my features and play the uninterested, unbothered Beta.

I had been paying close attention to Cooper, which was the only way I was able to decipher that something was clearly wrong. His heart was beating at an irregular rate, so it was clear he was planning something naughty.

The apples did not smell right. To a normal werewolf, the scent of the chocolate would be powerful enough where nothing else would be noticeable. I noticed. The smell was not quite right.

It was a good thing I declined the offer. Moments later, my packmates and the members of the Dark Wood pack were choking on raw onions.

It took all of my strength to keep a neutral face. I raised a single eyebrow at Cole, knowing he was somehow partially responsible. His Adam's apple bobbed, his nerves permeating through the barely-there scent of sweat coming from him.

I would deal with him later.

It is amusing that Cooper thought that he could easily trick me into one of his childish pranks. He will never be able to surprise me. I am always aware of my surroundings, always cautious of others. He will never catch me off guard.