Chapter 18 - Newton's Lair

Patricia stepped back and held her head, sighing.

"I... I just can't believe you."

(Name) couldn't summon the words to respond. She was deep in thought and flashbacks, flashbacks of the world that she felt doomed to return to. How long before the mocking started?

"You seem just... Like a traitor, but... You can't control your emotions..." Patricia said in a melancholy, confused tone. "I feel so blind..."

"I don't want to go home, home is just full of horrible people that wanted to kick me into the dust..." (Name) lamented. "Newton is the first man who's been nice to me for as long as I can remember..."

"But what about your family?" Patricia asked.

"I don't know, but I don't want to go home unless it's with Newton. And I intend to bring him home with me." (Name) said, trying to regain some of her dignity. She stood up again and brushed herself off from her fall. Her movements were slowed drastically yet remained with a powerful grace.

"Let's get the last marble. And give me that..." (Name) said, before snatching the note off Patricia and placing it carefully back into her pocket. She led the way through the structure...

Once the marble had been found, (Name) and Patricia found themselves in the midst of a lovely twilight light, riding on a large bird bearing rainbow coloured feathers that glinted in the fading sunlight. Patricia, (Name), Oddsock and the queen rode on it as they searched the golden clouds for Swoop.

(Name) was admiring the view despite the fear of Newton having had plagued the area. Although she felt at ease and mostly safe, at the same time she felt her adventures in Bunkum were coming to a close. Then she'd be sent back home to Earth where she'd be kicked to the ground even more and resented. Then again the note in her pocket somehow helped...

"So, are you going to give it to Newton once he's better?" Patricia whispered into (Name)'s ear, not wanting the queen to overhear and kicking one of them off the side and tumbling down through the skies where death would certainly await.

"Yeah." (Name) replied in a whisper. "Although I hope he'll accept it..."

The queen's voice piping up from up the front of the bird started (Name) out of her thoughts.

"Do you think you'd survive if I pushed you off?" The queen turned her head towards Patricia and asked the question nonchalantly. Patricia's eyes widened and she opened her mouth to object, before the queen gave a playful yet somehow disturbed smile.

"I must keep my royal composure." The queen commented, gently tapping her china doll face and returning her mind to the matters at hand. "After all, things are looking like we're getting on top of this war!"

Bad timing.

Newton was on his hot air balloon, stalking (Name) and co and using the clouds as a shield. A cannon had been fixed to the front of the basket, loaded with a cannonball which had been filled with an explosive flammable material. He floated out from behind one of the clouds and took careful aim at (Name) in a small crosshair atop the cannon.

"Perfect day for target practise, wouldn't you think?" He whispered to himself. A tiny thing clicked in his mind as the real Newton's senses flooded in, amplified.

"W-What?!" The real Newton's dark void had disappeared. He could see everything that was happening in reality, but not control it. He was a while away from that. What he saw was (Name) perched on the most majestic rainbow bird, her hair gently moving in the breeze gracefully and facial features making her look prettier than ever in the setting evening light. She wasn't looking his way. The real Newton had forgotten that his fingers were placed on the trigger of a cannon.