Chapter 13 - Labyrinths, Classrooms and Dictatorships

(Name) and Patricia found themselves standing on old, dusted leather bound books. The pungent air smelt like must, which assaulted their senses. Thin, intricate cutouts in what looked like paper with some sort of elegant foreign script written on it were a rather heavy presence in the area. Butterflies made of paper hung to the walls and flapped their wafer thin pale wings.

“This is… Wonderful.” Patricia commented on the ethereal surroundings. She began to make slow footsteps into the dimly lit book haven. (Name) gently ran her finger against the rough surface, and a layer of dust fell from where she ran her finger along.

Papal Mache was waiting somewhere down a bit, idly waiting and staring at the ground.

Patricia for once was enjoying the calm tranquil environment, and tread softly up to Papal.

“Hey.” She said in a soft voice. Papal turned around and grinned, although it was rather obscured by his green gem beard.

“You are here! Marble is lost deep inside the labyrinth, you must find way to guide it to freedom!” Papal explained. A small wall opened up behind him, revealing a paper wall and upside-down blue platforms hanging on the ceiling, which seemed to be emitting little blue sparkly particles. “Watch!” Papal said, before leaping onto a spring pad, which sent him towards the paper wall. He flipped upside-down, and was pulled onto the blue surface.

“Hahaha! Up is down, and down is up! Very amusing, I think!” Papal heartily laughed. “Follow and we will get the marble!” He said, before falling… up a pit somewhere.

“Alright, let’s go…” (Name) said. She reluctantly stood on the platform before being launched to the paper wall. She felt a tingling sensation in her feet, before she was violently swung upside-down and landed on the blue surface, on her feet.

“Huh…” (Name) went. It was quite ethereal, and slightly dizzying… She forced her mind to follow Papal, to find herself falling into a Velociporter and sending her tumbling uselessly onto a wooden floor, face-first. She was the right way up, at least, before Patricia came bowling out after her and landed feet first on (Name)’s back, winding her.

“Oops, sorry, (Name).” Patricia said sheepishly.

Meanwhile, evil Newton had approached Bunkum Lagoon under the cover of night, gently treading through the sleeping night. Even the guards had laid their sleepy heads and were having potent, dense dreams provided by the Creative Heart. Newton didn’t come unarmed, he had a small gun-like device in his hands. It seemed to have a speaker on it for whatever reason.

Newton approached the Creative Heart in all it’s glory, before adjusting the settings on the gun, and nonchalantly pointed the end at the figure. The gun unleashed a purple beam, which hit the heart right in the centre. It writhed and broke it’s usual rhythm, before coming to a halt and becoming surrounded by a purple forcefield.

“Long live the queen…” Newton muttered, before changing the settings on the gun. He pointed it to the sky, and pushed the trigger down. Hard.

Bunkum Lagoon was jolted awake by a flash of light that lit up the area, as if the sun had suddenly appeared in the sky. Newton stared around and awaited for people to panic, and sure enough, the first people out were a flock of guards.

“Freeze! Newton Pud, is it?!”

Newton smiled warmly at the guard who said that. “Yes, my name is Newton Pud.” He didn’t seem afraid at all, he didn’t even flinch… There was no longer a doubt in the titan’s stolen mind that it was Newton. This body was destined for him. He thought, at least.

A few more guards charged up. “Back away from the Creative Heart!” They threatened, holding swords with the queen’s name engraved on the blade. “Or we’ll kill you on the spot!”

Newton didn’t budge. He merely tweaked the gun and held it in the direction of the guards, and hit the trigger without a slither of hesitance. The guards were sent flying by a sudden blast of dubstep, waking the rest of the city up, many of which went outside to inspect the chaos.

“I, Newton, am your new self proclaimed king of Bunkum. Anyone who does not oblige…”

Newton grabbed the gun and shot a beam of purple into the castle. Everyone held their breath as they waited for it to hit, and as it did, audio exploded from the centre of the castle in a giant purple pulse, which resonated through the area and caused the whole land to shift. Newton stared down at the crowd with a dark expression. Some of them threw themselves to their knees in fear, begging for mercy. The queen came out enraged, her pyjamas tattered and usual grand pride having been replaced with anger.

“How dare you threaten fair Bunkum Lagoon, young man!” She screeched. “GUARDS!”

Some guards popped up, looking battered and beaten. They weakly saluted. “Yes?” They all said in monotone.

“Take this purple twat to the torture chamber!” The queen commanded.

The guards took one look at the device in Newton’s gloved hand and merely did not respond, arms dropping from the salute as Newton pointed it at them. “Go take her to your torture chamber.” He commanded.

The guards nodded and saluted. “Yes, sir...”

“Wait! No! You don’t take orders from that moron! Only from me! Me and me alone!” The queen said, stepping back, before being grabbed by her own burly guards.

“Sorry, nuthin’ personal, miss.” One said who had grabbed her by the arm.

Newton watched as the queen was dragged away into the remnants of her own castle, presumably to have her own torture devices turned against her. He then returned his gaze to the citizens of Bunkum Lagoon, all huddled together in the depths of the inky night.

“So. Gather up the materials you can find, and build my new fortress. Or otherwise.” Newton clicked the gun and sent a ray into the sky, lighting the area in a purple glow. The citizens all nodded madly and began to rush around frantically for materials.

The real Newton was sitting in the made-up classroom, which had curtains drawn to shut out the light. A projector played 1st person black and white footage, complete with 40s style generic narration of Newton taking over Bunkum Lagoon and successfully overthrowing the queen. Something told him that this was happening in reality, although unless he managed to break the illusion, he couldn’t tell.

Newton slumped in his chair, when the generic narration voice started to take a rather personal turn. He whipped his head up, suddenly fully engaged. He was greeted by an image of (Name) with her head stuck in a guillotine, who was crying uncontrollably. A crowd was in the background and was cheering, holding up signs reading “DOWN WITH THE TRAITOR” and alike. Newton’s eyes widened, his hands clutching his desk and he broke out in a cold sweat. The guillotine blade fell a little, before stopping. Newton held his breath, before the blade came down upon (Name)’s neck.

“(Name)!” Newton cried out. Surely she wasn’t dead, yet… But the thought of it, if he could cry, he would have salty tears dripping down his warm face, he’d be trying to blink the tears out of his eyes, and his breathing would have become erratic, all from the loss of the love of his life.