63. Lost and Found

Start from the beginning

"I've been training at Windhaven."

"I heard about that new plan to trade Peregryns and Illyrians around. I haven't been selected to go to the Dawn Court yet."

"I'm sure you will be soon." Mikael knit his brows in thought. Estelle has been juggling Illyrians from each of the different war camps. I've only had to deal with one set of Peregryns.

"You're mated?" The female asked, drawing in a deep breath. Mikael nodded. "To the Spymaster's daughter, if the rumors are to be believed."

"Yes, Estelle is my mate."

The female hesitated, then said, "People say she's traveling along a stream. The one we're beside, in fact. I don't know her exact location though."

Mikael straightened, a grin spreading across his lips. Estelle was following the stream! He was finally on her trail! "Thank you," he said. "What's your name?"

"Morai."

"Mikael."

Morai inclined her head. "I'm going to get some sleep. I won't kill you if you don't kill me."

"Don't steal from me and I won't steal from you."

"A truce then. For tonight."

Mikael nodded and Morai curled up on the ground near the fire. He bundled his wolf skin beneath his head and closed his eyes. Estelle was close. Perhaps he'd be able to find her soon. His heart swelled at the thought. She was alive. She was all right. He would find her. He was going to find her.

◦═══✦═══◦

Evening gave way to dawn and Estelle was exhausted. She hadn't found a new place to camp after the attack last night, so she chose to keep hiking. Her progress was slow. She kept tripping over tree roots, rocks, and her own feet.

She was drawing close to the treeline, she knew. The trees were growing thinner with every step she took. The air was even colder up here. She wouldn't be surprised if it snowed during the night. Snow in the mountains wasn't uncommon during early spring.

Estelle cried out as her foot snagged on a small divot in the ground. She crashed to her knees painfully. Tears welled up in her eyes. Estelle fought them back, laying down on the cold stone. Pain thudded through her ankle. She didn't look at it. She didn't think it was broken, but even a sprain would set her back.

Estelle clung to the Bond, wishing for the thousandth time that Mikael would reach out to her. She had heard and felt nothing from him since they arrived. She reached for her necklaces, then paused. She could only feel one. Estelle sat up and pulled her remaining necklace out from beneath her leathers. It was her necklace from Mikael. Where was her family pendant?

She looked back the way she'd come and almost sobbed aloud. She'd lost her pendant. She didn't have time to go back and look for it, but... Estelle drew her knees up to her chest, tears running down her cheeks. She felt her ankle gingerly. It wasn't broken. Estelle managed to stand. She put her weight on the ankle and nearly collapsed again. Sprained. It was most certainly sprained.

Estelle wiped her tears away, but more fell in their place. She'd lost her pendant. She'd sprained her ankle. She couldn't find her mate. She doubted she would even make it to the summit of Ramiel before the Rite ended. She had been dragged into this and she wasn't even going to become a Carynthian warrior!

She dug her nails into her palms, the pain slightly grounding her. Estelle closed her eyes, drawing in deep soothing breaths. No, I can still do this, she thought. I have to. I will find Mikael and I will make it to the summit. My pendant... It's gone. I can't waste time looking for it.