Spy Games

Third Person P

Third Person P.O.V.

"It's not there," Pope sighs sadly after scouring the ocean floor with the drone, nothing but empty wreckage, no sign of anything worth any value, leaving the Pogues immensely disappointed. 

They had got this far, risked everything, for a ruined ship and no gold. 

"Just pull the drone up" John B gives up, the thunder rumbling in the distance and the tides getting higher. There is no need to be out here anymore, compromising their safety. 

"Look, we can do another pass, recharge the battery" Pope suggests, "we can go back down!" He exclaims. 

"Guys, we've been through it three times, there's nothing there" JJ calls out from the front, also ready to get off the water. 

"Shut up!" Kiara yells. 

"What?! It's true!" JJ yells back. 

"The gold could be buried, we don't know" she tries to keep them optimistic, "if it was there, it would have been found on the metal detector okay" John B chimes in, coming to terms with their lack of findings. 

"Somebody beat us to it" he points out the sad reality. 

"Or it was never there" JJ mumbles.

*

Elizabeth's P.O.V.

"How are your eggs?" Mother asks, breaking the awkward silence at the table. I have refused to look up from my plate the entire time, avoiding my father's relentless glare as he tries to pry information mentally from me. 

I know it is about Maybank and me last night and it's not something I want to talk about because he won't like the answer. He instructed me to stay away from him and his friends, especially since stealing the envelope, which I broke. 

Thankfully, he hasn't told mom as she would have yelled at me and locked me in my room no doubt. Her distaste for Maybank is even worse. 

"Normal" I shrug. 

"Did you sleep well last night?" This innocent question adds even more tension, I instinctively look up at my dad, expecting him to expose me but he remains silent, a knowing look on his face as he wonders if I am going to admit it. 

"Like I usually do" I shrug. 

"All those books and these are the responses I get" Mother huffs, looking at dad who also looks down at his food. "Not you too, what's got you in a mood?" I hold my breath, praying he doesn't say anything. 

"Didn't sleep too well last night" he replies, "why not?" Mom questions, confirming that she doesn't know. 

"I thought I heard something in the backyard" here he goes, "what was it?" Mom asks, getting worried. "Nothing, it must have been the wind" he lies, but I know this isn't the end of this. Avoiding his disgruntled gaze, staring back at my plate.