Prologue

"Elizabeth Shoupe? Where do I begin? With a name like Elizabeth, she was always destined for royalty. She wasn't born a kook, but her family wove their way into it. She and Sarah rule Outer Banks. Everyone bows down to them, Elizabeth especially. She knows everyone would sell their left leg just to be seen with her. She knows it very well."

"But she wasn't always like this. Actually, she and Pope used to be best friends. Naturally, as the two smartest people in the class, they were competitive, but this resulted in a blossoming friendship that lasted years. She used to not care about which side she was on, enjoying the benefits of the middle ground."

 "That was until Rafe Cameron set his sights on her."

"She hasn't been the same since. Only caring about clawing her way to the top of the social pyramid. Kudos to her, she did it! Completely transformed into a total bitch but at least she's popular."

"But as much as she gives you every reason to despise her, you just can't. See Elizabeth Shoupe has been blessed by the Gods. She is a walking piece of artwork. Everyone has had a crush on Elizabeth Shoupe at one point, including me, John B Routledge."

"Though no one is as in love with Elizabeth as JJ is. He has been obsessed with the girl since kindergarten, ever since she let him borrow her crayons. He will never admit it but he worships the ground she walks on."

"Too bad he can never do anything about it. Elizabeth and Rafe, that's how it is supposed to be and that is how it all always be."

"But this doesn't faze JJ, he is not afraid of taking risks. And Elizabeth Shoupe, she is the biggest risk of all." 

*DISCLAIMER*

This book contains elements of domestic violence in Elizabeth and Rafe's relationship (not really a spoiler because it is mentioned in the first chapter and is integral in her plot line). The acts of violence are not written particularly graphic or in a lot of detail but if this is still a triggering topic for you then this may not be the best book for you.