The Forbidden Zone

Elizabeth's P

Elizabeth's P.O.V.

"So he really accepted your apology, just like that?" Sarah asks after I finish telling her what went down with John B yesterday. "Of course he would. I don't apologise often so he felt honoured." I shrug, dipping my toes into her pool. 

"Thank you" Sarah sits next to me. 

"Why are you thanking me? It was my fault anyway" I point out. 

"I know" she nods, "but I also know that you really hate to admit you're wrong and I know how hard it must have been for you to apologise and mean it" she knows me too well. 

"Well, you're my best friend, you know I would do anything for you, no matter how hard" I admit. 

"I knew there was a reason I kept you around" she jokes, hugging me tightly which I return. 

I don't understand why we are friends, I definitely don't make it easy, but she stays which I am thankful for. 

"So what now?" She pulls back. 

"I said I would help get him another job but he hasn't said anything" I reply, "I don't know, it was weird, he seemed like he had something more important on his mind" I remember how preoccupied he was. 

"I wonder what" Sarah takes her shoes off, also dipping her feet in. 

"I don't really care enough," I remark. 

"Aren't you ever curious about their hobbies?" She stares ahead, "I know their hobbies, stealing, drinking and being a pain in the ass" I list, "well all that but maybe they do something more" she chuckles. 

I think back to how good Maybank was with cars, he surprised me with all his knowledge and experience in the matter. 

For once, he actually knew what he was doing. 

It is similar to when he surfs, I have only seen him a handful of times but every time I do, he is in his element and taking on waves like a professional. I don't think I've ever seen him fall off his board, he is weirdly elegant. 

The others can never seem to keep up with him as he practically glides through the water, becoming one with the tide. 

Wait? 

Why am I thinking about him?

"No, I think that's all they do" I finally say after I forced him out of his mind. 

I should have never let him fix my car. 

A line has definitely been blurred. 

"Liz."

Sarah and I both turn to see Rafe standing a few steps behind us, his eyes locked on me. I haven't spoken to him since he called me a whore and accused me of sleeping with John B. 

He didn't reach out like he usually does when he crosses the line. 

I guess here is my overdue apology.