A little taste

I look like an idiot. I've been standing outside of firehouse 51 for 20 minutes. I take a deep breath before i walk in. 

"Hey, can i help you" Says a young, tall guy. He's wearing a candidate shirt.

"Umm, yeah, i was looking for chief Boden" I say nervously. I need to calm down before i have a panic attack. 

"Yeah, i'll take you there. I'm Peter Mills"

"Avery Sloan, nice to meet you" I say as we shake hands. We walk into a room and everyone turns to look at us. That doesn't seem to bother Peter as he keeps walking, I give them all a small smile as i follow along.

+

After meeting and talking to chief Boden he decides to call everyone to the briefing room. So here i am, getting stared at while the chief talks to them.

"This is Avery sloan, the new firefighter on truck 81. Make her feel welcome." 

"Tell us about yourself, Sloan." Says an older looking guy. 

"Well i used to live in Seattle-"

"Isn't it always raining there?" Someone else cuts me off

"Yeah it is"

"Why are you asking her stupid questions Cruz"

"Shut up Otis" I'm gonna like it here 

+

I've been here for around 2 months now and this place is beautiful, it's like a family here. I've grown really close with Gabby and Leslie as well as the others. 

"Things are working out surprisingly well, considering Clarice is in the bathroom every 10 minutes" Leslie says as we follow Gabby as she goes to o her laundry. "Severide is just, he's been totally cool since she moved in."

"That's nice of him" Gabby says not really seeming like she cares. Leslie and i look at each other confused. 

"I mean going up and down that spiral staircase with a baby, thats gonna suck. But we should probably just leave him up there until he can walk down himself" Leslie says trying to see how Gabby would respond "Um, i get that you're not a huge fan of Clarice, but we're a couple now and i'm looking to basically be a step mom. So i need your support"

"I'm sleeping with Mills" Gabby blurts out

"I knew it" Leslie and i both say. 

"You skank." Leslie adds as i laugh.

"You kept it from us this whole time?" I ask

"We agreed to keep it cool at work, so"

"Does Casey know?" 

"I don't think so"

"Are you gonna tell him?" Leslie says

"Do you think i should?"

"So you're over him?"

"Look he zigged, i zagged, it wasn't meant to be"

"How's the sex with Mills?" Leslie asks. I start laughing.

"I really like him, but it's not just a physical thing, so let's just say he's very detail-oriented. But he's the problem, he wants me to meet his mom and i'm-i'm just not there yet. What would you two do?"

"Detail oriented huh?" Leslie says

"Ambulance 61, Truck 81, Squad 3-" The station alert calls out as we head to the trucks.

+

Severide walks into the firehouse, he just had surgery on his shoulder. He and i didn't really know each other all that well before he had to leave. But apparently he is well loved in this firehouse. Every goes up to greet him while i stand a little further back not wanting to ruin their reunion with him. After he hugs everyone he looks over at me and i give him a small smile which he gives back.