Prologue

"You need to say goodbye Aves" Derek says as he walks up to me staring at Mark through the door to his hospital room.

"I know" i sigh "It's just that once i do" i stop talking, I cant do this. I can't lose my brother.

"I get it, i couldn't say goodbye either, but you need to do this, before it's too late" I look at him and nod. He pulls me into a hug before i walk into my brother's room. I grab his hand in mine as i stand beside his hospital bed.

"Hey big brother, everyone keeps telling to me to say goodbye but" i pause "But i don't know if can. Cause once i do this is all real. And i don't want it to be real. You know, you're the reason i am who i am today. I know you don't give yourself any credit but you, you made me who i am, so thank you for that.

I'm gonna spend the rest of my life continuing to make you happy. In anyway that i can" i reach up and wipe my tears away "I don't know how yet but you and i never were the organised types." I chuckle "I'm gonna make sure Sofia knows all about her dad, i don't want her to ever forget you, so i'll make sure she doesn't.

I'll take care of her, and Calliope and Arizona. So don't worry about them okay, i'll keep them safe for you." i stop to take a breath "I'll take care of myself too. I'll be good and i'll be safe. Well as safe as i can be. And i'll be there for Derek. And as much as that is really really sucks, It's okay if you go. If being here without Lexie hurts you too much. Then go. Be with her. Even if it means you aren't here with me. So i'm letting you go. It's gonna hurt, i know it will but i'll be okay. I need you to know that I'll be okay. I love you. I love you so damn much big brother." I lean down and kiss his forehead and stay there for a minute. Spending as much time with him before i lose him.

+

"They didn't even come" I say as Jackson walks over to me. We're at Derek's house after Mark's funeral.

"Who?" He asks

"My parents" I say as i lean into him. "They didn't even come to their sons funeral"

"Avery" He pulls away. "Can we talk?" I look at him trying to read his face. I nod as he pulls me to the kitchen were we are alone. "At the Oral boards" He stops and sighs before continuing "I slept with April" He says looking at me.

"Oh my god" He cheated on me? And he is telling me at my brother's funeral. "With April?" i repeat as he nods his head.

"Look it was a mistake and it-" 

"A mistake? You ruined everything for a- a mistake?" I ask

"No that's not what i mean-"

"Then what did you mean? Hm"

"I mean that it shouldn't have happened"

"Damn right it shouldn't have. We're engaged for fuck sake." Oh my god "And you're telling me at Mark funeral? This happened OVER A MONTH AGO. And you're telling me now?"

"I should have told you sooner"

"IT NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED" I look at him waiting for him to say something but he doesn't. I take off the engagement ring and hand it to him. "You might have to get it re-sized for her" i say as i turn and walk out. Both my brother and fiance left me.