doorstep | kei tsukishima soulmate au (female-reader request)

prompt: (Y/n) and Tsukishima do not get along... at first

warning: strong language

word count: 1117

.・-: ✧ :- second-person point of view -: ✧ :-・.

"Mind your own business."

That particular series of words were not uncommon. Every few weeks, a mysterious letter would appear at your doorstep. Inside the letter were words from your soulmate, words they would at one speak, but not necessarily to you. You wondered who your soulmate was, hoping they weren't too far away. But your thoughts became side-tracked when you noticed the blond side-eyeing you. You watched the way he leaned to the desk beside him, snickering to his freckled friend.

"What are you laughing at?" You snapped in his direction, a scowl on your face. Tsukishima simply smirked at you with a smug look in his eyes.

"Mind your own business," He spat back. You felt your jaw lock. You had no idea what he said, but you just knew it was about you. Almost enraged, you faced the front of the class as the teacher arrived. No one managed to irritate you more than Kei Tsukishima did. He crawled under your skin like a tic. He brought the worst out of you.

That was the opposite of what a soulmate ought to do.

You had denied it at first, swearing up and down that you were misinterpreting the letters. Week after week, new evidence piled to the contrary. It became clear to there was no mistake, Tsukishima was your soulmate. That jerk.

"What are you laughing at?"

He felt his heart trip over its feet. Those words sent shock waves right through him, cracking through his unbothered facade. Yamaguchi saw how his best friend faltered as if struck by something. Something hard and cold; the truth. Tsukishima recognized those words from the letters on his doorstep. Were you his soulmate? That felt stupid to even think. You and Tsukishima had never gotten along, how were you ever supposed to be in love?

"(Y/n)," He spoke, catching your attention with ease. You rolled your eyes, continuing to pile your notebooks and pens into your backpack.

"Here to be more an asshole?" You wondered aloud sarcastically.

"No, actually," Tsukishima muttered, nervously fiddling with his fingers. He folded his hands in front of him, his eyes locking on to them.

"I think that... maybe," Tsukishima almost stuttered, struggling to verbalize his feelings. "That you're possibly... my soulmate." You sighed, your motions wavering.

"I know," You admitted, swiftly zipping your bag closed. Tsukishima blinked several times in a row to process what you had told him.

"Oh," He said, swallowing thickly while glancing at you briefly. "Well then, would you... like to go on a date with me?" You looked up at the tall boy. He messed with his glasses nervously, a glare reflecting off his lenses.

"We can hardly stand each other," You reminded him plainly.

"So that's a no then," He mumbled. He felt a sick pit in the bottom of his stomach. The first person he had ever asked on a date shot him down, how wonderful. He stiffly began to walk away, too embarrassed to find anything snide to say.

"It wasn't actually," You quickly clarified. You rose to your feet, draping your backpack over your shoulder. You awkwardly shifted your weight from one foot to the other.

"I guess I wouldn't mind going out with you," You shrugged. "How about tomorrow night?" Tsukishima quickly nodded his head, scribbling down his phone number and handing it to you. You saw his hands, they were long, slim, and shaking slightly. It was almost cute to see him all worked up. He was always so calm and had an air that he knew something important that no one else did.

You finished your homework at about six the next evening. You anxiously tapped your pencil against the open textbook, eyeing the clock on your bedside table. Tsukishima said he would come knocking at your door any minute now. The sound of the doorbell ringing made you jump. You hurried to the front door and flung it open. There he stood, a clumsy expression and a fist full of flowers. You stepped back, seeing that they were extending towards you. Were they--

"Are they for me?" You asked, somewhat stunned.

"No, I like carrying them around," Tsukishima said sarcastically. It was an instinct; a habit that had formed over years.

"Just take them," He huffed, shoving them into your empty hands. You laughed softly at his behavior. It was obvious he had never done anything like this before. You left the flowers in a cup of water on the kitchen counter and joined Tsukishima on the sidewalk. He failed to mention where he was taking you. In fact, he failed to mention anything on the walk there. It was quiet, just the sound of cars and crickets.

"Here," Tsukishima gestured, stopping in his tracks. You saw he was pointing to the park. There were small crowds of people huddled together on the grass--no, on blankets on top of the grass. There was a large projection screen set up. You saw Tsukishima had already started to walk towards the others, you at his heels.

"What is this?" You asked him curiously. "A movie in the park?"

"I thought that much was obvious," Tsukishima nodded, coming to sit on the ground. He saw the way you uncomfortably sat on the dirt. He realized his mistake, all the other couples had brought something to sit on.

"I didn't bring a blanket," Tsukishima admitted sheepishly. "Here," He shook his jacket off, "you can sit on this if you want." You smiled at him, using his coat to shield your skin against the itchy grass blades. You noticed something odd in his jacket pocket. You pulled a box from the fabric cavity to reveal brightly colored packaging.

"Oh, yeah, that's for you too," Tsukishima said casually, not taking his eyes off the blank screen several meters ahead of him. "I didn't know what you liked, so I took a wild guess."

"Thank you," You told him genuinely, a gentle smile on your face. This Tsukishima was much different from the Tsukishima you had known before. This one was thoughtful, observant, and not nearly as mean. This Tsukishima bought you flowers and candy, and let you have his jacket. 

This Tsukishima brushed his fingers against yours. They were a little cold but oddly welcoming. It was probably unintentional, but the red tint across his face proved he knew what had happened.

"S-Sorry," He stuttered, retracting his hand from yours.

"No," You shook your head. "It's okay, I don't mind." You reached over, pulling his hand back to where it had been resting. You carefully intertwined your fingers, finding his hands were much bigger than yours. You could feel a few callouses on his palms and a vein on the back of his hand. You could feel the faint thump of his pulse, it was fast. You were starting to like this Tsukishima.