Rachel almost shook her head, but halted at the last moment. What did the doctor say about you?

The doctor is cool. He might help us in the trial. He's the guy I talked to on the phone. The one who voted for our pardon the first time.

Yeah, he might have changed his mind after we forced the Hunters into a full out war with the vampires. Even with her eyes closed, she frowned. And not because of what Daniel said. She could sense something approaching. Something that wasn't a vampire, but made her stomach turn over the same way. Can you feel that?

That would be our beloved leader, Angus. See you soon. The shit's really gonna hit the fan now.

Daniel! Don't leave me alone! It was no use. He didn't answer.

Muffled voices came through the wall as the people next door argued. It seemed Daniel wasn't far away.

"I don't care! I want them there in five minutes!" Angus roared, then a door slammed.

Her guard stomped to her, grasped her shoulder and shook her. "Get up, bitch. Time for your trial."

Rachel fluttered her eyelids, to fake coming out of a deep sleep. She half-expected her vision to be impaired, but the sedative in the darts affected her less now. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. White walls, a hospital bed and medical equipment surrounded her. Bitterness settled on her tongue. At least her senses were back properly.

The guard grabbed her elbow and pulled her off the bed. "Get up. Angus gave the order to—"

The redheaded man who had stood on Gabriel's right during their first trial hurtled into the room. "Angus ordered you to escort Daniel. I'll take care of her."

The guard squinted at the man, but whipped around and stalked out .

The redhead pushed the door closed with his heel. "Sit down."

Rachel clenched her fists and bent her knees, ready to strike.

The man's features softened. "I want to help you."

She lowered her fists, but didn't relax. She recognized his voice as belonging to the doctor who came by to check on her earlier. "Why?"

The man heaved a sigh. "Please sit down. I can only stall for so long."

After surveying him for another few seconds, she sat back on the bed. He immediately rushed to her, took out a stethoscope and stuck it to her stomach.

"Lie down, please." He nudged her shoulder gently, and she complied.

"What are you doing? Where's Vlad?"

"Vlad is in custody. But that doesn't matter now." The doctor put away the stethoscope and pulled the ultrasound machine closer. "There's something much more important I want to discuss with you."

More than probably getting a whole bunch of Hunters killed? "Shoot."

"I want you to be careful at the trial." The man moved the probe on her stomach, his eyes fixed on the monitor. "Whatever happens, keep your head down."

"Am I pregnant?" Rachel sat up, trying to look on the screen of the ultrasound.

"You suspect you are?" The doctor squinted at the screen. "I don't think so."

"It would be too early to tell, anyway." She shrugged and laid back down. A heavy weight plunged in her stomach, but she did her best to ignore it.

"Would Daniel be the father, or some human?"

"Daniel." Something tugged at her heart. She half-hoped the doctor would confirm her suspicions. "I've been having mood swings, cravings nausea." Her tone was almost hopeful.