·₊° 20. sports festival, start!

༉˚*ೃ 2o. SPORTS FESTIVAL, START!

IT RAINED LIGHTLY on the Monday morning of the annual U.A. Sports Festival, just enough for Dantō Ward to be covered in a light foggy drizzle and for frogs to start croaking in the filled gutters. Droplets slid down the windowpanes and leaked through a few holes in the Akatsuki household roof.

          "Now, don't get yourself too hurt!" demanded Miki as she shoved Tsubame's arms through a clear plastic raincoat and pulled the hood over the top of her head. It wasn't like Tsubame had needed it—the rain was more of a light spray, trickling down from the clouds, and sun was beginning to glow through onto the streets—but Miki tugged it on her anyway, because that was Miki's unspoken way of showing she cared.

         "Go, Tsubamemochi!" cheered Tomomi, carrying her rabbit plush in one hand and a hand-drawn paper flag with Tsubame's face on it in the other. "Be number one!"

          Grinning, Tsubame clasped Tomomi by the cheeks and planted a kiss atop her hair, ultimately finding herself being squeezed by the younger girl. In her joy, Tomomi started to float a little. She was a few feet off the ground when Miki grabbed the back of her shirt and pulled her back to her feet. "You can win," Miki told Tsubame seriously, shoving an umbrella into her hand. "Just try your best, okay?"

          "Aw, nee-chan," teased Tsubame, grabbing the umbrella graciously, even though she knew it wouldn't be needed. "If I win, you've gotta buy me sake."

          "No."

          "Hey, Tsubamemochi, make sure you don't overdose on caffeine," her father said as he handed her a plastic bag crammed with thermos mugs of coffee, black tea, and energy drinks. (Coffee was her worst nightmare, but she'd choke it down to stay awake). "It's just a precaution, right?" There was a prominent, worried crease between his brows.

          Tsubame smiled bright. "Yep. A precaution. Honestly, if I had a caffeine O.D. anyway, I think Recovery Girl could probably fix me." That made his face turn into mild panic. "Thanks, Dad!" The bag was slung over her strong shoulder.

          Tomomi bounced with Tsubame all the way to the front door, where Tsubame pulled on her sneakers. "We'll be watching you on TV," Kazuo told her. He also had a small flag in hand, the paper accessorised with a scribbly Tsubame's face—courtesy of Tomomi. Dorks. Tsubame loved them. "You can do it!" It was one of the very few days he had off work, so Tsubame couldn't let him down.