Bring Him to His Knees

Finally adding the angst tag, folks 😬 I promise it'll all be worth it. 

-Parks 🖤

Hange flinched when the first red flare shot up into the air.

Already? Hange thought. I can still see the wall.

Another red flare bloodied the blue sky, this time on the other side of the legion. Then a green flare was fired by Erwin to direct them towards the nearest patch of trees.

Here we go.

Hange could see all 86 Scouts on the mission perfectly spaced in front of her. She was just a little excited to see the herds of Titans running at them from both sides. Her squad had been assigned to the rear for her to lead the retreat; however, now she was rushing everyone forward. They needed to get to the trees before the Titans reached them, so that everyone could use their ODM gear.

She watched the first scouts zip through the air as soon as they were in reach of the trees. Hange would bet that the little, green blurs were Levi's Squad. Lead by Erwin, the core of the Scouts continued forward into the trees.

Hange gasped when the roar of combat sounded from within the trees. She could hear the screams of her comrades as they were ambushed.

All she wanted was to race forward and help them, but their entire retreat plan relied on her. She couldn't jeopardize that just because the MPs were attacking. Because of this, she was forced to send her squad out into the chaos with a single call and hand signal.

Y/N nodded at Hange, then took off along the right edge of the legion. Hange hated seeing her people running towards death, especially on her orders. She watched Y/N until she disappeared in the crowd.

~

"AHHH!" A Scout screamed as he was picked up by a Titan.

As hard as he tried to push himself out of the Titan's grasp, its fingers were too strong. He swung his sword down in a desperate, and unsuccessful, attempt to hack at the Titan's wrist.

"Help me!" He screamed when he saw a Scout on horseback galloping towards him.

He saw her head snap up to him, then she stood on her horse's saddle. If his lungs weren't being restricted by the Titan's fingers, he would've sighed in relief.

Wait, why isn't she going for its neck??

His relief fled when he saw her ODM gear pierce the Titan's hip. The scout spinning towards the Titan's legs was the last thing he saw before he closed his eyes. He was sure he would be crushed.

The Titan screamed and it felt like the Titan fell to its knees. The scout opened his eyes and saw the Titan's calves strewn in the grass. He realized it had actually dropped to what was left of its legs.

"Stay still!" She instructed him.

A split second later, he was sprayed with blood from the woman slicing at its knuckles. He fell to the grass with a grunt and rolled over. The air had been knocked out of his lungs, but he knew the fall would've been worse if she hadn't cut its legs first. The ground shook when the Titan fell limp next to him.

"Can you ride a horse still?" She asked as her feet gracefully landed on the ground.

"Yeah," he huffed out; his lungs still ached.

She hoisted him up with her arms around his waist and helped him crawl onto her horse; his was long gone.

"Go back to Section Commander Zoë and wait for the retreat," she said and handed him the reins.