Interrogation

Y/N pointed her toes and stretched her legs out. Erwin's sheets were soft against her skin as she began to wake up. She buried her face in the pillow and yawned. Y/N hadn't slept much at all the night before, so she was grateful when Erwin suggested a nap when they returned to his room.

She rolled over towards him only to find an empty bed. Her head snapped up off the pillow, and she sat up to look around the room. She even leaned forward to peak into the bathroom, but Erwin was nowhere to be found. It was still bright outside, so she couldn't have been asleep for long.

"Erwin?" Y/N called out.

She got out of bed and padded over to the office door. Her footsteps against the wood floor were loud in the otherwise silent room. She was only wearing one of Erwin's shirts, but it was so long that she didn't bother putting pants on.

I didn't think he'd leave while I was asleep.

Y/N poked her head into the office, and she was surprised to find Levi sitting in Erwin's chair. He was looking out the windows behind Erwin's desk with a cup of tea in hand.

"It's just me, L/N."

"Oh." Y/N didn't know whether to be disappointed it wasn't Erwin, or relieved that it wasn't Ryker.

"Erwin is downstairs. He asked me to babysit."

Y/N cut her eyes at him but stopped her snarky comment. She was grateful he was there even with his attitude.

"Well, thank you. Do you know when he'll be back?"

Levi turned and glared at her. "I said I was a babysitter, not his assistant."

Y/N rolled her eyes with a sigh. "Thank you, Levi."

She turned to walk back into Erwin's room.

"L/N. Are you okay?"

Y/N stopped and looked back at Levi. In all the time she had known him, all the times they had faced titans and nearly died, he had never asked her that. She wondered what had changed.

"Oh, uhm yeah, I am. Thanks for asking."

He looked back out the window and sipped his tea. He was quiet for so long that Y/N thought he was done. Then he finally spoke again.

"I'm sorry he made you feel uncomfortable in your home."

Y/N was stunned. "Huh, Captain Levi has a soft side."

"Tsk. Go back to sleep, brat."

"Thanks again, Levi," Y/N chuckled.

She didn't bother closing the door before she crawled under Erwin's comforter. As she settled, she thought about what Levi had said.

I've never thought of headquarters as my home.

She thought about the last few months, and it was clear how much that had changed. Suddenly, she had an entire group of people that meant the world to her. It was all comforting, but also nerve wracking because now she had so many things to lose.

With that depressing thought, Y/N was more than happy to continue her nap.

~

"I already told Ackerman all of this," Ryker spit blood onto the dirt floor.

"I want to hear it from you, firsthand," Erwin replied without a hint of emotion.

When Y/N fell asleep, Erwin was impatient to go talk to Ryker, but he didn't want to leave her alone either. Just as he was about to go find Hange, Levi knocked and entered Erwin's office. Erwin assumed he was there for a quick update but was shocked when Levi went into a lengthy explanation.