Ambush

June 13,2029

Betty's POV

It has been about an hour since Cheryl and Veronica stopped crying after seeing those pictures of Toni. The entire office was silent and the mood just felt gloomy.

Cheryl just buried herself in work and I could tell she was distracted. I tried telling her that she didn't have to work today and we could all just go home but she just kept denying.

My girlfriend on the other hand was curled up in a ball on the couch and she was just scrolling through her phone. I peeked over one time and saw she was looking through old photos of her and Toni.

Every time I tried comforting her, she would gently push me away from her.

I'm affected by those pictures too, but just not as much as it affected Cheryl and Veronica.

I just tell myself there's no time to sulk because that time could be used to get closer to finding Toni and getting her in our safe arms.

Sighing, I looked at the photos in my hands and tried searching for any details that would help us out. As I flipped through them one by one slowly, I stopped at one of them.

Looking closely at the background, there were many people wearing just shorts and shirts meaning it was most likely taken recently since it's June which is summer and it's hot.

I looked at Toni in the photo but mostly at her pregnant stomach. She looks about 7-8 months pregnant in the photo. In my head I did the math and gasped and covered my mouth quickly.

Both Cheryl and Veronica looked at me and asked what happened but I just shook my head no quickly.

"Are you sure" they both asked me and I nodded my head slowly as I removed my hand from my mouth. Cheryl better hurry up so I can tell the others the news.

Hours later

After hours of staying with Cheryl at the company, she was finally leaving. I held Veronica's hand in my own and she laid her head on my shoulder as we walked.

Once we reached the car, we all saw a big box on top of it. Cheryl opened the box and pulled out a big red teddy bear and a note.

She passed the bear to me and Veronica and I watched as she silently read the letter.

When she was finished reading she crushed up the paper and threw it on the floor as she climbed into the driver's seat. I bent down and picked up the crumbled piece of paper, putting it in my pocket.

I then opened the car door and helped Veronica get into the car carefully. As I was about to enter the car, I saw someone sitting in a black car and I could tell they were watching us. I got in and shut the door and Cheryl immediately sped off.

"Cheryl someone was watching-" "I know that" she said as she continued driving recklessly and speeding past other cars.

Veronica slithered her hand in mine and I squeezed her hand softly.

"Cheryl, could you slow down, Veronica's scared of speeding now especially since she's pregnant" I told her carefully. I heard her sigh and then she slowed down a bit with her driving.

"Thank you" Veronica said quietly.

I looked over at her and her energy was completely different than it was this morning at the house. I guess the pictures are still bothering her.

"C'mere' I said as I brought her to my side and hugged her. She rested her head in the crook of my neck and she fell asleep halfway through the ride.