Chapter 4 - Revised

"You're joking right?" His mock innocence ate at her from her core, slowly tearing her apart from the inside. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore and reared her arm back. Before he had a chance to react, her hand filled with a stinging pain and his head reared to the side. A feverish red splotch spread across his cheek, burning a fiery red path in its wake. The face she once admired mutated into a corrupt beast. His feigned smile evaporated the light dancing in his eyes faded and hatred crept into his voice.

"Do you really think I would do that to you? Do you think I hate you that much?" Jake shouted at her in disbelief.

"Being perfectly honest? Jake I don't know what you're capable of anymore. You would be surprised at what jealousy does to a person." She replied exasperated.

"Jealous? Jealous?" He asked with increasing volume. "Is that what you think? That I'm jealous of you?"

"Look at yourself! Ever since Pastor chose me instead of you for the position you haven't been the same. Face it your jealous and pissed off that you didn't get the job!" She yelled back losing her cool.

"I'm worried about you-you idiot!" His voice lost all volume as he continued. "They don't trust you. They never did."

"That's not true," she denied. She came here as a child. She could barely talk, nevertheless conspire with the devil. Of course they trusted her. "You want my job just admit it! Stop lying!" Her voice echoed off of the halls.

"I'll stop lying to you-when you stop lying to yourself." He stated his voice cooler than his eyes which were alight with fire. Turning around, he headed down the hallway only to stop at the door. "You should know though that Henry isn't sick. He's been conversing with the dear old Pastor. Because he, unlike me, actually does want your job." With that, he stormed out of the room leaving her alone with only the echo of his retreating footsteps.

Compelling someone was one thing; that was merely willing someone to do your bidding, willing them to see things your way, but to alter it and that well... What was going on? Why would Henry turn on her? Hailey sighed and fell back against the wooden wall, sliding down until she plopped against the floor. That was not how she expected things to go. In truth, though, she had no idea how she expected that to go. Accusing her former best friend of trying to kill, or worse corrupt her, was nothing to be taken lightly. How did she even know Grayson wasn't lying to her? She had no reason to trust him so why did she?

She wrapped her arms around her knees, burying her face in her arms. Henry was her right hand man would he really be willing to take her position from her? She supposed it would make sense for him to be jealous. He was older and no matter how old she was when she came here, she was still an outsider compared to him.

The floor boards around her creaked as someone stepped into the empty hall. A honey suckle breeze overwhelmed her as Becca slid down next to her. She always smelled of flowers because unlike most of the Guard, she lived with her family who grew a garden rather than crops. After all, all towns need a splash of color. A weak smile played at her lips. Her emerald eyes still rather dim from the news of the foraging expedition, Hailey was struck with guilt. Joel had been in charge of leading the foraging expedition. She and Joel had been dating for over a year and had grown up together. As realization dawned upon her, Hailey wrapped her arm around her friend.

"I am so sorry! I didn't even realize that Joel...I've been so self-absorbed. God Becca I'm so sorry." The words flooded from her mouth anguish engraved into each word.

"Hey it's all a part of the job description right?" She tried to laugh, but her smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

"No, not right. Becca you don't have to be brave. I can't imagine what you're going through." She pleaded with her friend.