Chapter 2 - Revised

"Hailey? Are you up yet? We have watch tonight!" Becca pounded on her bedroom door. Hailey cracked the door a sliver. Her handed jotted out just far enough to snatch Becca's wrist and drag her into the darkened room. "What are you-" Becca started startled before Hailey threw out a hand and hushed her.

"Are you trying to wake up Pastor? Or worse Jake?" She hissed.

"Well..no.. but we have watch.." Becca pursed her lips and crossed her arms. Her pouting did nothing but raise the octave of her voice.

"Would you please lower your voice?" Hailey pleaded. "I realize we have watch and that's exactly why we're sneaking out. But we can't do that if you're shouting everything you say now can we?" Hailey mockingly scolded her.

"Why are we sneaking out?" Becca asked in a hushed tone. "Like we aren't doing anything wrong?"

"Because after that scene with Jake earlier the last thing I want to do is have another confrontation with him or Pastor for that matter. Now follow me and don't say a word." Hailey reopened her door slowly peering down the narrow hallway to assure that no one had awakened to Becca's booming voice. After seeing that the dark hallway was clear, she stepped out motioning for Becca to follow her. Quietly closing the door behind them, she sprinted down the hallway on her toes, narrowly avoiding each board threatening to creak. Becca wasn't quite as skilled in that matter. Hailey paused at the spiraling stair case to wait on Becca who had to tiptoe slowly in an attempt to retrace Hailey's steps. Moments later she was at Hailey's side, her forehead creased obviously distraught. She never did handle stress well.

While Becca opted to risk the stairs, Hailey leapt on to the banister and started her descent when a voice beneath them broke the silence.

"Sliding down the banister?" Jake mocked. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Pastor would not approve." Hailey inadvertently jumped at the sound of Jake's voice. She cursed as she was forced to throw herself into a back flip to control her fall. Despite herself, she stumbled on her landing, unsteady on her feet. She hated that his voice alone could do this to her.

"What are you doing Jake?" Hailey asked exasperated. Jacob hadn't always acted so cruelly to her, but ever since her promotion he was especially spiteful.

"I have watch tonight at tower 8. Henry got sick. I'm filling in for him." His voice was casual despite his bluntness.

"Henry? Sick?" She didn't believe it. Henry didn't get sick and if he did, he would never actually admit it; too much of a tough guy. However, he was her second in command so if anything happened to her... "I wonder how that happened." Her voice was ice against the summer heat.

"Are you insinuating something?" Jake spat, his fists clenched against his side.

"Of course not. Just thinking out loud." A false air of sincerity and lightness surrounded her words as she forced a smile, ignoring Jake's narrowing eyes. "Let's go Bec we've got a watch to get to." At that, she spun on her heels and walked away, maneuvering around the rows of pews blocking the massive doors that led outside. She let the doors slam behind her. Becca could walk to her post alone tonight.

The cool night air brushed across Hailey's face easing her tightened muscles. She gripped the golden rimmed locket dangling at her neck, skimming over intricate pattern of swirls with her thumb before pressing down on the latch. Hailey swore at the closed locket. She wasn't quite sure why she wore it. She'd never been able to get the damn thing open. It's the only thing her family had left her before leaving her with the Pastor. That should have given her more of a reason to trash it, but she couldn't bring herself to sever her only tie to them. Sighing, Hailey tucked her locket underneath her shirt and turned her attention back up. Scanning the night sky and all of its flickering lights until she found it; the wall of darkness that traced its way along the outskirts of town. Following its path away from the cliff side, Hailey set off. With miles to go before midnight, she had some catching up to do no thanks to Jacob.