part one

Bella | paris

photophile- someone who loves light

•••

{tw— PTSD, mentions of child abuse}

The cold brisk air of the night hits me like a ton of bricks, whisking me away momentarily as I and Amelie step off the plane and onto the airstrip, our path illuminated by the moon and the bright stars that rule over the dreamy, darkened sky.

We walk in silence taking in our surroundings, the french words written on a sign directing us to the baggage claim. 

Thank the lord. 

I have lived on the Gold Coast my whole life, with the sun beating down on my freckled skin, bike rides to the corner store, and always having a swimsuit in the bottom of my school bag for a quick dip at the beach. It's refreshing being away for the first time. I'm possibly relieved and happy but then I am also still not in touch with my emotions. I don't know if I can fully recognize how I am feeling at the moment. 

"Belle, stop daydreaming," My cousin says, her words coated with a thick Australian accent. She grabs our bags from the bagage claim which i take from her

"It's night. I'm not daydreaming, dumbass" I snicker as a light emotion has now taken over my feelings. 

We tell the driver our apartment complex, hoping he can speak English and thankfully he does but with a thick accent.

We begin our drive down the almost empty streets of paris, twists and turns, all the buildings look the same— tall, white, covered in flowers and vines, massive windows and balconies and the light blue roofs that have little sun roofs on them.

When I was little my Nonna would always tell me stories of her time in paris and how one day she would bring me here, just us two and we would explore the streets — running around like kids in a candy store. She said she would visit after we settle in more and I can't wait to see her, she is my everything.

Our taxi stops In front of one of the identical buildings and me and Amelie get out — hauling our bags with us up the stairs to the top floor.

It really is a paris apartment, like those ones you see on Pinterest. It's a decent size, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and living area.

"So who's gonna have the ensuite and bigger room" My cousin questions while looking around and bitting her lip in anticipation.

"You can, I'll take the smaller one" I say to her while trying to move off to the bedroom on the right

Amelie groans and reaches out to grab my arm holding me back and says, "No bitch, you always do this. You get the bigger room." I open my mouth to protest but she gives me her famous no-bullshit look which shuts me up instantly. She learnt it from Nonna.

I sigh and grab my bags heading over to the left side.

It has one of those sitting window seals and I can already imagine everything I can put in here, where I'll put my desk and everything. Im so fucking excited for this.

I slump down on the queen size and sigh dreamily, imagining all the adventures and opportunities that await for me. Main character shit