23: But you wanted to

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" Mickey greeted me with a bear hug and squeezed the life out of me. "It was food poisoning. Not a big deal." I said and pushed away from her to catch my breath. "You could've called me, Gracey. I've been taking care of you when you're sick since we were teenagers. Did you eat something nice? Huh??"

"I'm fine! I had.. help." I softly admitted. "Great." She dropped her bag on the floor and sat on my couch. "I've been replaced by your boyfriend. Well if that's how it's supposed to be-.."

"It was Elena," I said. Turned around and made a beeline to my kitchen. I opened the fridge to find two more cans of beer. Thank goodness. I slammed the door shut and "Jesus Christ!" Mickey was standing right next to me. "Close enough. But no. It's your best friend, Michaela. Asking you, 'what the fuck, Grace!" I rolled my eyes and went back to the living room. "Elena was here? In your house? And you were alone?" She followed. "Will you relax? It's not like that." I grabbed the remote and turned on the T.V. "Grace, look at me." And so I did. "Did you had sex on this couch?"

"No! Oh my God! What is wrong with you?" I balled at her.

"But you wanted to."

"I.." I do. I do want to. Ugh. "Shut up!" I hit her with a throw pillow.

"No, I will not shut up. Tell me all about it." She opened the box of donuts after placing her shoes formally next to the door. "There's nothing to tell." I grabbed a munchkin. "Well, that's boring. She sat back down on the couch. "So what's the deal with you and mommy dearest?"

"Honestly?" I turned to her. "I don't know. She's been very kind to me. Great at what she does. Oh and she's got so many hobbies. I actually want to see at least one of them in action." I started imagining Elena baking in my kitchen. Or sawing some furniture outback. Mickey's finger snapped. "She's got you all hooked up."

"No, she does not."

"Yeah, she does. Look at you all dreamy. You were never like this with all the men you dated. You were never like this with Josh." My heart sank. I haven't seen Josh since the night at the restaurant. "He's great. Don't get me wrong. . He's great. He's a real gentleman. You know? Great smile. He's great."

"You already said that."

"Because he is!"'

"But he's not the best."

Well that made me think. "At least not for you." Mickey has always been right when it comes to the people I dated. And I hate that. I drew a heavy breath. "I guess we'll find out at the wedding. You're coming aren't you?"

"Oh I'm coming," Mickey said.