1: Glad I shaved tonight

I emptied what seemed like the 5th round of glass and thought carefully. "So, you manage the Bachelor of Arts department? What else do you do?"

"Well, I maintain operations and quality communications with stakeholders. Set strategic goals, track relevant metrics, and serve on committees. With the help of the Assistant Dean, of course."

"That sounds like a lot of work. A busy life." Nothing compared to my everyday job arranging flowers. "What about you?" Elena swiveled in her bar stool. Legs perfectly crossed together. Our knees staggered. I could feel the warmth from her legs against mine. I swallowed. My everything tightened. Glad I shaved tonight.

"I ran a small business down in Allens Lake St. About a month ago, I opened a flower shop called Breathtaking Blooms." I smiled at the thought of mentioning one of my life's achievements so far. It wasn't easy getting there. But somehow I managed. And life is good just as it is. "How's business so far?" I felt her eyes roam around my body and stopped just below my neck and settled on my cleavage. Jackpot. I knew this dress was a killer when I saw it. It cost me a good 26 dollars. But I've worked hard for this and thereby deserved a little attention. Even from a woman.

"It's doing really great so far. I have no complaints. I feel like I could take it up to another level though. But that'd require larger cash. So it's going to take a while before implementing some ideas I've jotted down in my journal. What does your husband do?" I heard myself say. She chuckles at the question. But my curiosity piqued when I saw no man hot on her heels when she walked in. She looked down at the floor before meeting my gaze. "I'm not married. Divorced, actually." Interesting. We stared for a moment. A freckle of light danced in her big brown eyes. The corner of her mouth turned into a faint smile that caused a primal reaction to my stomach. I took a long sip without taking my eyes off of her. I couldn't even if I try.

"Is everything ready for your birthday party next weekend?" Joe reappeared in the view. "Shoot. Is that next weekend already? It has to be in Frank's place. I haven't completely settled in the new house yet."

"Would you like me to bring Julio, as well?" He raised an eyebrow. "Jesus, no. I'm 48. One more lap dance like what he did to my sister's bachelorette party and I won't see 49." I choked on my drink at the mention of her age. Two heads turned to me as I sputter and gasped for air. Joe thankfully leaped into action and poured me a glass of water. "You okay?" Elena said as she touched my forearm. I ignored the tiny spark at the connection. I gulped on my water.

"Sorry. I just.. you don't look 48, is all." The two smiled in unison. Joe shook his head. "That never gets old." Elena nodded. "That reaction or my age?" She asked. "Both," Joe replied without hesitation. Another customer called for his attention and we were left alone. "Does the age difference bother you? Or the fact that I'm a woman?" My eyebrows furrowed. What is she talking about? Why would I be bothered? "No. Not at all." I answered. Even if I was completely unsure of what the question was.

"Hey, you two. My shift ends at 12. If you're going to stay longer, I'll let Mark take care of your drinks." Joe said from the far corner of the bar. I looked up at the clock to see that it's 10 minutes to midnight. Elena and I looked at each other. "Wow. I never realized what time it is." I told her. "Me neither. Thank you for celebrating the promotion with me."

"Well, thank you for filling in my date." I realized how that sounded, but I can't take it back now. Instead, I drank from my last glass of Martini while she watches me. Which made me feel many things. And I'm not ready to end the night just yet. "Are you a dog person, Grace?" She asked out of the blue. I stared at her. "Oh, I am actually. I adore dogs." I clenched my chest as I remembered my childhood shiz tsu, Pop eye. I must've looked silly daydreaming because a smile worked its way to Elena when she stroked a hair behind my shoulders. It was a simple gesture but it struck me. "I've got a really adorable dachshund, would you like to see and pet it?"