6: SURPRISE!

I flared up my laptop the second I came home. Josh would be home at any minute and I shall be there when he logs in. I poured myself a wine from the cabinet. It's the weekend anyway. And there's the fact that I'm an adult and will do whatever I damn please. 15 minutes later and there is Josh on my screen. "Hi, beautiful." He says. With that perfect handsome smile of his. He's still wearing his tie and work clothes. "Hey." I greeted him. "How was work?" His smile faltered. "Horrible. I had to put out 3 fires this morning." He groaned and tilted his head to the side. I winced. "That bad?" I asked him. "Yeah. But Carl and I handled it. So it's all good. And how's your day, beautiful?" My stomach fluttered as I brought the wine to my lips. "Store was good as usual." He inclines to my drink. "You seemed to be in relaxation mode."

"Just unwinding, I guess." He went on to talk about the resort his company has been trying to put up. I've heard this story before so I checked myself out through the camera. My blond hair is getting a bit too long. This reminds me to get it short by next week. I also need more shampoo and a new set of comforters. Oh, I almost forgot. Pots. I need three more pots for the plants on the terrace. And the light outside needs a new bulb. I'm sure I can go to the groceries sometime next week. "So what do you think?" Josh says. Think about what? Oh, God. I wasn't paying attention again. What is wrong with me? "I think.. that sounds amazing." I lied. I have no idea what I'm agreeing to. You need to focus more, Grace. Things like this could get you in trouble. "Okay, great! I knew you'd like that idea." He said. How do I ask him to repeat everything he said without sounding dumb? I nodded and sip my wine. I think I need a refill. "My mom would love you. I just know it. Well, step-mom" I choked on the wine. "I'm sorry, what?" I asked. Because seriously, what??

"Grace, are you having second thoughts? I thought you'd be okay with meeting my parents on Tuesday?" OH. So that's what I was agreeing into. See? Trouble. "I mean.. no of course not." He seems to buy it. "So after meeting you at the airport, we go straight to my parent's house." I nodded. Again. For what seemed like 16 times. I do need a refill.

Tuesday came and I'm utterly nervous. I wore my cute boots today just because I wanted to impress Josh. Is something wrong with that? I think not. "There she is," Josh said the moment he saw me. Oh my God. He's like one of those cowboy men you see in a calendar. How lucky am I?? And I know he's 5'9. But Woah. He's too perfect. "I can't believe I'm here. With you." I said. I reached up for a kiss. "And I can't believe I'm here with you!" A voice said that separated our lips. Uhm, who are you? "Grace, remember my partner? Carl?" Oh yes. Your buddy from the office. "Hi. It's nice to finally meet you. You're all Josh ever talks about. At work, in the bar. It's just Grace Grace Grace.." He laughs. He's an inch smaller than Josh. Has wavy blond hair and beautiful gray eyes. These men are like coming to life straight up from a calendar. "Carl! Of course. Hi. I'm so glad to meet you." Even if I wasn't aware that you were on this trip.

Carl hailed a cab and off to his house. We said goodbye to him and hopped on my Honda civic. "I'm so excited for this week with you." Josh kisses me on the cheeks after he dialed down his parent's address on Google map. "Me too. Now, what're your parents like?" Don't you think we're moving too fast? That is what I want to ask him. "Well, to fill you in. My mother left when I was 5, no big deal. I have a stepmom but she and my dad are divorced. My dad, as you know owns a multimillion-dollar company. The resort we're trying to build."

"Right.." Not a bit as intimidating and scary at all. "And my mom is a dean. Sometimes she teaches too." Okay, that's not so bad. And me? Oh, I just own a little shop. What have I gotten myself into?

"This is it. This is my mother's house." Where have I seen this porch before? "Oh no," Josh said looking at his phone. "What? What? Honey, what?" I get super anxious about things I can't know right away. "I got a text from dad. Saying they're not home." That explains why the lights are off. "They're stuck in traffic and asking us to wait." He sighed. "I'm sorry about this." He said with those big blue eyes with extremely long lashes. To the point that I'm kind of jealous. "Oh, it's no trouble, sweetie." My hand landed on his lap. Right now he's just looking gorgeous and we must act on it. He kissed me. His lips are so soft. It's the softest lips man-lips I've ever kissed. His hands now on my face and I am ready. My palm slid to his crotch. Also.. soft. I need to step up my game here. I was about to climb on top of him when he spoke. "Wait." Wait? Why? Am I doing this wrong? Why aren't you hard? "Let's go in. I don't want the neighbors spying on us." I smiled. "Good idea." He got the keys from his pockets and I still don't get why this looks familiar. But I am a woman on a mission. Once he opened the door, I pulled him by his collar and kissed him. Hard. The house was still dark when we heard a burst of faint laughter. The lights turned on. "SURPRISE!" Holy cheese and sprinkles.