Chapter 39

-Emiko POV-

Teiko Middle School days

"What are you up to, Sei?" I asked when we walked home.
"I believe, he can become our sixth man" said Sei and I frowned.
"Really? I know Kuroko-kun loves basketball more than anyone I know, but... can he really?" I asked.

"He can, if he uses his lack of presence" he said and I sighed.
"All of you are just so blind" I said. "He's not invisible, you know"
"You just notice the unnoticeable, Emi" he said and I sighed. "Maybe, you can help him"

"You want me to?" I asked and he smiled.
"He's your friend, isn't he?" he asked and I smiled.
"Yeah, he is" I said.

~

I helped Kuroko practice his passes every day after school.
He was amazing, using Misdirection to make passes...
So, after 3 months, we went to see Seijuro.

"Hey, Sei!" I shouted when we walked into the first string gym. "I brought someone for you!"
"Haven't seen you in three months, Kuroko" said Seijuro. "Did you find your answer? Emi wouldn't tell me"
"And miss the surprised look on your face? Not in a million years" I laughed.

"Yes" said Kuroko.
"Then, let's test you immediately" said Seijuro.
"If possible, could I show you in a game?" asked Kuroko.

Seijuro looked at me and I was smiling.
"Nijimura-san" said Seijuro and walked to a sempai. "That's him"
"Right, he's the one you mentioned" said Nijimura.
'Oh, I can't wait to see the looks on their faces'

~

When Kuroko played in a game, everyone was surprised and I was smiling proudly.
"What is this?" asked Nijimura. "His passes are surprising, but how can people lose sight of him during a game?"
"Misdirection" I explained.

"What?" asked Nijimura.
"It's a technique used in magi tricks for directing a person's focus" I explained further.
"Magic?" said Nijimura.

"For example, before he intercepts a pass, he uses his gaze and movements to direct his mark's attention to the ball or another player" I said. "Combined with what Sei calls his natural lack of presence, he seems to disappear"

"Did you know this would happen?" asked Nijimura to Seijuro.
"No, he exceeded my expectations" said Seijuro.

~

Kuroko became a member on the first string.
"I brought Kuroko Tetsuya-kun" said Satsuki.
"Thanks" said Nijimura.

"You're here, Tetsu" said Aomine.
"Hey. I've been waiting for you" said Seijuro "Welcome to the first string of Teiko Middle School basketball team"

~

"Maeda-san" said Kuroko before we walked into the building.
"Kuroko-kun?" I said, we were about to play a practice game against a strong school.
"I wanted to thank you" he said and held out a wristband. "For helping me"

I smiled and put the wristband around my wrist.
"No problem, really" I smiled. "I loved helping you, it was a lot of fun"

"Where the hell is Haizaki?" I asked, I was getting pissed that he was absent again.
"Speak of the devil" said Seijuro when his phone went off. "It's Haizaki"
"What? Give me that!" shouted Nijimura and picked up the phone. "Haizaki, where are you?"

"Sorry, but I've got a cold" I heard Haizaki say and I began to roll up my sleeves.
"Haizaki's out with a cold" said Nijimura, also annoyed.
"Give me that" I said and took the phone. "Haizaki, you bastard. You better get your scrawny ass over here, before I have to drag you here myself!"