Chapter 1

-Emiko POV-

"Emiko! Kuroko's here!" shouted my dad.
I quickly finished putting my new uniform on and ran downstairs.
"Hey, Tetsu" I smiled when I saw my friend.

"Good morning, Emi" he said.
"Have a good first day" said dad and I waved him goodbye.
"Thank you for walking with me" I said to Tetsuya.

"It's on the way" he said and I smiled.
"I can't wait to see how the basketball club practices" I said and he nodded. "Come on, Tetsu. At least try to look a bit excited!"

"I am excited" he said and I rolled my eyes. "Aren't you going to join the martial arts club?"
"What? No" I said. "I told you, those days are over. I like being a manager. And with your record of getting hurt during games, you're gonna need me"

We arrived at Seirin High School and it looked amazing.
"There are a lot of people for a school that just opened last year" I said.
People approached me and I almost lost sight of Tetsuya.

Since his presence is so low, nobody approached him. But I never found Tetsuya's presence unnoticeable. But then again, my speciality is noticing the unnoticeable.
We found a bord where all the clubs were written up.

"Okay, let's go" I said and we walked to the bench of the basketball club.
"Hello" I smiled and the girl smiled back at me.
"Are you interested in joining the basketball club?" she asked, I noticed that Tetsuya began writing down his application, they hadn't noticed him...

"Yes, is it possible for me to join as a manager? I have experience, I was a manager at Teiko's basketball club" I said and they stared at me.
"Teiko?!" the girl and boy shouted.

"Yes..." I said. "I was in charge of mental and physical health. My father's a doctor, so I picked up a few things"
"Of course!" shouted the girl. "We'd be happy for you to join!"
"Thank you" I smiled and wrote down my application.

"I'm Riko Aida, the coach" said the girl. "And this is Junpei Hyuga, the captain"
"It's nice to meet you" I smiled. "My name is Emiko Maeda, I'm looking forward to being your manager"

"Tetsuya!" I yelled when he was walking in front of me. "Wait up, with this crowd, I'm gonna lose you"
He looked at me and grabbed my hand.
"Thank you" I smiled. "The coach looks nice, I bet she's gonna be really surprised when she sees you play"

"She will be more surprised by you" he said and I shook my head.
"I'm nothing special" I said. "But, I am looking forward to being a manager again. I really missed it"

~

The next day, I put on my work out clothes and walked into the gym.
The new members were lined up and I smiled seeing Tetsuya with them.
"Ah, Maeda!" said Riko and she smiled.

"Thank you for having me" I said and bowed.
"All right! Looks like all the first years are here!" shouted a member.
"I'm the basketball club coach, Riko Aida. Nice to meet you" said Riko.

"What?!" yelled all the boys in surprise.
"It's not him?" asked a first year and he pointed at an old man.
"That's our advisor, Takeda-sensei" said Riko.

"Seriously? You've got to be kidding" said a first year.
"This is Emiko Maeda, our new manager" she introduced me. "Now that you're acquainted with Takeda-sensei and Maeda, I'll have you guys first... Take off your shirts!"

'Heh?'
It even surprised me...
"What?! Why?!" they all yelled.
They all took off their shirts and Riko studied them.

"You, you're not very explosive, are you?" she said to a first year. "I bet you can only do 50 side jumps in about 20 seconds, right? You'll need to do a little better for the basketball team. You're too stiff"
"Seriously? She's right" said the first year when she walked away.

"How'd she know that just from looking at us?" asked another first year.
"Her dad's a sports trainer" said Hyuga. "Collecting data and creating a training regimen. It's a skill she picked up from observing bodies and data every day at his workplace since she was a child. When she looks at your body, she sees all your physical abilities in numbers. I wouldn't expect any less from a coach"

She was staring at the biggest guy with red hair...
He did look very fit and built for a guy my age.
"Coach! What are you staring at?" said Hyuga.

"Sorry! Um..." she looked at her paper and then around her.
"You looked at all of them" said Hyuga. "Kagami is the last one"
'Not all of them' I thought and looked at Tetsuya.

"Really? Is Kuroko here?" she asked and she looked at me.
"Oh, that kid from Teiko" said Hyuga. "Maeda, you know him, right?"
"Yep" I said.

"Looks like he's not here today" said Riko. "All right! Let's get started with practice!"
"Um, excuse me" said Tetsuya and Riko looked scared. "I'm Kuroko"
I held my hand in front of my mouth, trying not to laugh.

But that failed when Riko screamed.
"What? How long have you been there?" asked Hyuga.
"I've been here the whole time" said Tetsuya.

"It's true" I chuckled. "Tetsu has been here the whole time"
"What? This guy was a part of the Generation of Miracles?" asked a second year. "He couldn't have been a regular, could he?"

The name of the group I was responsible for, for nearly 3 years, sent a shiver down my spine...
"Of course not. Right, Kuroko, Maeda?" asked Hyuga.
"He played in a lot of games" I said.

"Right?" laughed Hyuga.
"What?!" yelled both the second year and Hyuga.
"T-take off your shirt!" said Riko.

"What? Okay" said Tetsuya and I turned around, hiding my face.
He was my best friend, and seeing him half naked, was a bit embarrassing.