The Idiots Lantern

Start from the beginning

"Where we off to?" I asked as I leaned on his neck causing him to shiver, "Ed Sullivan TV Studios. Elvis did Hound Dog on one of the shows. There were loads of complaints. Bit of luck, we'll just catch it."

"And that'll be TV studios in, what, New York?"

"That's the one." A red London bus drives past the end of the street. Theta pulls up by a red post box and now we see lots of Union Flag bunting strung between the houses. Rose taking a few minutes to catch up, "Ha! Digging that New York vibe." I laughed looking around since. "Well, this could still be New York. I mean, this looks very New York to me. Sort of Londony New York, mind."

"What are all the flags for?"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

Another television set is delivered from the back of Magpie's van, "There you go, sir, all wired up for the great occasion." We stop on the side looking at the man selling the TVs, "The great occasion? What do you mean?" Theta asked with a click of his head. "Where've you been living, out in the Colonies? Coronation, of course."

"What Coronation's that then?" Rose asked with a frown causing Theta to look at her, "What do you mean? The Coronation." The man scoffed staring at her like she was stupid. "It's the Queen's. Queen Elizabeth." I explained causing Theta's eyes to widen. "Oh! Is this 1953?"

"Last time I looked. Time for a lovely bit of pomp and circumstance, what we do best."

"Look at all the TV aerials. Looks like everyone's got one. That's weird. My nan said tellies were so rare they all had to pile into one house."

"Not around here, love. Magpie's Marvellous Tellies, only five quid a pop."

"Oh, but this is a brilliant year. Classic! Technicolour, Everest climbed, everything off the ration. The nation throwing off the shadows of war and looking forward to a happier, brighter future." Theta continued on until shouting turned our attention. "Someone help me, please! Ted!" Two burly men in black suits bundle a person into the back of a car, with a blanket over his head. "Leave him alone! He's my husband! Please."

"What's going on?" Tommy runs out of the house, "Oi, what are you doing?" He yelled, "Police business. Now, get out of the way, sir." The office spoke continuing on. "Who did they take? Do you know him?"

"Must be Mister Gallagher." The car drives away, "It's happening all over the place. They're turning into monsters." Tommy explained with worry in his voice. "Tommy! Not one word! Get inside now!" Tommy flinched slightly and gave a small smile, "Sorry. I'd better do as he says" Theta and I get back on the moped, while Rose rushed to her ride. "All aboard, my love!"

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

"Lost them. How'd they get away from us?" I laughed lightly from behind him as we stopped in front of a wall, "Surprised they didn't turn back and arrest you for reckless driving. Have you actually passed your test?" I teased giving him a smile, he chuckled turning slightly to kiss my lips just as Rose arrived. "Men in black? Vanishing police cars? This is Churchill's England, not Stalin's Russia." Theta pointed out, "Monsters, that boy said. Maybe we should go and ask the neighbours."

"That's something you would do. The domestic approach."

"Thank you. Hold on, was that an insult?" Theta zooms off again, both of us laughing as Rose shouts behind us in anger.

╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲╱╲❀╱╲

We knock on a families door, a man answered it quickly afterwards. "Hi!" We all cheered fake happily, "Who are you, then?" The man snarled angrily as he looked each one of us up and down with a sneer. "Let's see, then. Judging by the look of you, family man, nice house, decent wage, fought in the war, therefore I represent Queen and country." Theta holds up the psychic paper.