32 | the beacon

–WE MADE OUR WAY DOWN THE WHITE HALLS TO THE CONTROL ROOM, MY ANGER BECOMING MORE AND MORE UNCONTROLLABLE AS WE GOT CLOSER TO OUR DESTINATION.

Din stayed close to me and I could read his thoughts which told me to keep my cool. All I wanted to do was kill these guys and get out of here. They had a bad feeling around them and there was no way I was going to be caught in the middle of it. I was still healing from my time on Tatooine so my strength was still coming back to me.

"Z, open the door!" Mayfeld shouted into his earpiece as we arrived.

I unclipped my lightsabers and readied myself to ignite them in case more protocol droids were behind the door. Din held his blaster close to him as he ran in behind me, my eyes widening when I came face to face with a blaster.

"Stop! J-Just stop right there!" The young Republic officer ordered us as we all entered. "You put down the blasters right now!"

I walked closer to him, tilting my head as I examined him. He looked new and seemed to not have a lot of experience being out in the field. His fearful eyes stared at me, the dark side of me making me grin.

"Nice shoes." Mayfeld commented sarcastically as he walked to the control panel.

"Put down your blasters." The officer ordered again and pointed his blaster at Mayfeld.

I walked forward and gently reached out to move his hand downward. He quickly got out of my grip and pushed the barrel of the blaster to my helmet. Of course, I wasn't threatened by it but I did make sure I didn't spook him too much.

"There were only supposed to be droids on this ship." Din spoke up as he aimed his blaster at the man.

"Hang on, hang on...ah, cell 2-2-1." Mayfeld mused, not caring that he could be shot. Honestly, the officer would be doing me a favor in shooting Mayfeld's dumb ass. "All right, now for our well-dressed friend.

When I saw the young officer pull out a homing beacon, I immediately snapped into action and shoved Mayfeld away. I didn't need my sister knowing I was alive. In fact, I didn't need anyone from my past knowing I'm still living.

"Hey, take it easy, kid." I spoke to him in a calm tone as I raised my hands to show I meant no harm. "Put it down or give it to me."

He shoved his blaster in my face again, my patience wearing thin as my anger started to turn into panic. I wanted to get out of here and get as far away from the Republic as possible.

"Put it down. Now!" Mayfeld shouted.

"Easy!" Din shouted as he stepped forward and pulled me away. "Nobody has to get hurt. Just calm down!"

"What is that thing?" Burg spoke up as he nodded toward the device.

"It's a tracking beacon. If he presses that, we might as well make ourselves comfortable here until we're imprisoned or executed." I responded as I stepped forward again.

"Are you serious?!" Xi'an snapped at me and I whipped around to look at her.

"Oh, did Mayfeld fail to mention that to you or are you just that stupid?"

"I didn't think we would get to this point!" Mayfeld shouted in frustration as he glared daggers at me.

"Yet here we are." Xi'an said with a mocking grin then glared at me.

"Are you questioning my managerial style, Xi'an?"

"No, sir."

The twi winked at him before saluting, her fangs showing in her grin. I rolled my eyes at the two idiots before looking back to the young Republic officer. I walked toward him again, clipping my lightsabers to my belt then reaching up to remove my helmet.