21 | this is no life for a kid

—EVERYTHING WAS GOING BACK TO NORMAL AROUND THE VILLAGE.

I usually kept to myself but if one of the villagers or kids wanted to talk to me, I would gladly speak with them. Apologies from me were said to everyone since I treated them poorly weeks prior when they didn't deserve it. A lot of them forgave me and, thankfully, I was back on Winta's radar. The young girl and I would walk around the woods together talking about anything. She asked me questions about how Mando and I met; I'd ask her about what she would like to do when she's older.

When we got back to the village, Winta ran off to play with her friends and the Child. I noticed Mando and Cara speaking with one another but didn't go up to them. Instead, I found myself staring at the Mandalorian, my eyes looking him up and down and studying whatever I found interesting on him.

I was curious about him. I couldn't understand how trusting he was of me when he knew only the rumors and horror stories of my time in the Empire. He rescued me; let me stay with him; and he even called me his family! Whatever he saw in me...I hoped it wasn't anything having to do with wishful thinking or making me out as a saint.

Looking away from him, I walked to my hut and dug through my satchel to find my mother's ring. The metal was cool on my warm fingertips as I studied it, smiling softly as I gazed at it. I could sense the faint Force Echoes surrounding it and the laughter and joy radiating off of it.

Footsteps behind me broke my train of thought and I looked to see the newcomer. Omera stood at the door, her hands holding a tray of food. She was smiling kindly, waiting for permission to enter. With a silent nod, she walked in and set the tray down on the open window sill.

"Thank you." I said to her and she bowed her head, her smile still on her face.

"It's the least I can do since you and your Mandalorian companion helped save us."

I nodded and looked back to the ring I held. Omera noticed, a curious expression flitting across her face.

"Your ring... It's beautiful." She gasped and slowly approached. I glanced to her, seeing and reading her curious thought of where I had gotten it. With a hesitant gesture, I held the ring out to her so she could look at it.

"Oh, I don't need to handle it. Where did you get it?"

The memories it held echoed in my head, making me smile as the image of my father flashed in my mind.

"It was my mother's. I was given this by...a friend of my father's before she passed."

Omera's expression turned to one of sorrow. She hesitantly reached her hand out and gave my arm a comforting squeeze.

"I'm sorry."

"It's all right. It was years ago and I was a child when it happened."

I didn't want to go fully into detail with what I experienced. Watching my mother die wasn't exactly a light subject for me to talk about and I don't think I'd be able to talk about her without breaking down. I was closer to her than my father since I was with her all the time while Anakin was out fighting in the Clone Wars. Of course it wasn't his fault for being away all the time. I still loved him and I would do anything to get one more moment to be with him.

Omera left with a small smile and nod and the Mandalorian appeared in the doorway. I noticed him staring after the village woman for a moment before he walked in. For some reason, I felt something in me grow in opposition against the woman, but I pushed it away. Getting worked up over the affairs of the Mandalorian and Omera wasn't something that concerned me.

"Hey." He greeted softly and came to stand beside me at the open window sill.

I picked at the loaf of blue bread on my plate and took small bites of it. I was never a big eater. Palpatine and Vader made sure to keep my diet lean and they used meals as punishment too. If I failed them, I lost a meal. Most of the time I never ate and it ended with me collapsing or blacking out for long periods of time.