Chapter 5 - Slipping in Some Magic

Start from the beginning

The letter continued to explain various questions Bruce had. Most questions wondering if the wizarding world was a threat were diminished. It was obvious that these wizards and witches didn't want to do much with people who had no magic. They lived in their own world hidden from the non-magical eye.

Knocking on Y/n's door, hearing a very faint and muffled 'come in!'. He found her sitting on the bed, hugging a pillow tightly, tears flowing down her face.

"I'm sorry. Please don't send me away- I- I-"

Bruce walked towards her and cut her off with a hug, heartbroken with the thought of her thinking she would be sent away. "You're part of our family now," he reassured her, "You aren't going anywhere."

After a while of comforting, Y/n spoke up. "Please don't tell the others. I kind of like being a bit normal for the few days of summer."

Bruce nodded, thinking back to their night patrols of fighting crime. He understood that Y/n needed some normality, and if just spending time with them was enough with her, Bruce gladly welcomed it. "Alright then. You can tell your brothers on your own time."

Bruce also needed Y/n to understand that they were family now. It was obvious that she thought of them as her new one, but she obviously didn't trust them completely yet which was understandable.

Hugging her one last time, Bruce left the room, heading towards the Batcave. The wizarding world was not a threat. They try to stay in their own world, non magical people stay in theirs.

Right now, there was no need to worry, Bruce decided. For now, he should focus on the crime going on in Gotham.

══════════════════

"Damian, come on I want to show you something!"

"Wait! Where are we going?"

They ran through the large Wayne backyard, ending up at a large oak tree. Y/n climbed up the tree, grabbing her wand and tapping it on the tree three times before putting it away.

"Why'd you tap a stick on the tree?"

"Just wait for it."

They waited for a full 3 minutes, Damian getting bored of waiting while Y/n looked around at the sky.

"Y/n what are we even-"

"Look she's here!"

Y/n's owl Oaklyn came flying in and landed on Y/n's shoulder, Y/n patting her on the head.

"You have an owl!? She looks so cool! What's her name?"

"This is Oaklyn. That's why I tapped my stick on the tree, she responds to that. Oh, don't tell anyone, okay? I trust you."

"Got it."

Y/n let Oaklyn fly onto Damian who awed at her beautiful feathers.

"Why do you have an owl?"

Y/n thought about an answer for a bit, staring at her owl to make it seem she was just admiring Oaklyn.

"Oaklyn was trained to fly and deliver letters like a mailman or a carrier pigeon. Of course, when I found her I let her go free to fly and hunt all on her own but she kept coming back to me.

Sometimes she nips at my fingers when she wants to deliver something, so I just write a letter to a friend or two. They know of her existence of course. Otherwise it would have been quite a surprise to see an owl flying into your house."

Y/n took out a small container filled with small dead fish and Oaklyn flew back onto her shoulder, waiting for the food.

"Do you think... We could surprise someone with her?" Damian asked as he watched Oaklyn eat.

"Who are you thinking of?"

"Well, Drake has been quite annoying towards me recently.."

"Isn't he always?"

"More annoying than he is regularly."

"Okay then. Let's come up with something completely improbable but very believable at the same time."

════════════════

"NO BIRD I DON'T WANT TO JOIN THE STUPID OWL KING STOP FOLLOWING ME WITH THAT LETTER!!"

"Tim? What are you yelling about?" Y/n watched her brother race down the hallway, seeing Oaklyn leave through an open window.

"There's an owl- huh? Where'd it go?"

"An owl? What's up with you Tim? Are you being possessed by the Owl King?"

Tim stared at his new younger sister. "Don't tell me that was you."

".. it wasn't me? The Owl King is just some myth story my grandparents told me. When an owl chases you, you know trouble is never far.... At least, I think that's how it goes.. I remember there was something about a letter but I can't remember anything more than that." Y/n put a hand on her chin thoughtfully, thinking about it.

Tim stiffened up then sighed, "I think I need more coffee..." 

Mmhm. Yes. Okay. Uh yeah. Okay bye.

Signed,
S. Skyalent