[ part II epilogue ! ]

Start from the beginning

"Allison was the perfect girlfriend. She had a smile that could light up an entire room, she was understanding, selfless, and always stood up for what she believed to be right. I never knew what love felt like until I met her. Some people say there's no such thing as love at first sight—but I'd like to argue the contrary.

Because the second I saw her that day she walked into our history class, first day of sophomore year—I'd never been more infatuated with anyone or anything in my entire life."

Scott took a deep breath, having to gather himself together. He missed Allison more than he let on—he tried to be strong for everyone else. For Aspen, for her father. But Allison was the first person he ever fell in love with—she held a place in his heart that no one else ever could.

"I want to thank you, Allison," Scott said with a strained smile, looking up at the sky, feeling tears brim at his eyes,

"For teaching me what love is."

Scott then slowly walked back to his seat—and once he was back in his chair, he let out the tears he was holding back. Aspen wrapped an arm around him, rubbing his shoulder in comfort.

Next up—was Lydia. The strawberry blonde sat on the other side of Scott, and she let out a deep breath as she prepared herself to go up there. After her speech, Aspen was the only one left. They kept the speeches to a small number, the people closest to her.

"Hi everyone," Lydia greeted as she got up on the small platform at the front, "I'm Lydia Martin—but a lot of you will know me, as Allison's best friend. Well—one of them," Lydia smiled at Aspen at that last part, before looking back at everyone else,

"Allison was the best friend a girl could ever ask for. You had boy trouble? She was right there. You had a fashion crisis? Again—she was right there..."

Aspen could sense Lydia holding back. She watched as the Martin girl took in another deep breath, her fingers skimming over the piece of paper in front of her.

"But she was more than that," Lydia spoke up again, "She was more than just your go-to for boy advice and outfit changes. She was... she was a hero. She was always finding ways to save and protect her friends. I think— I think we should remember her like that. A hero.

She was just... everything a girl could ask for in a best friend and more. She was taken from us too soon..."

Lydia's speech ended there, as she wiped away a tear from her makeup-filled eye, returning back to her seat with the rest of her friends.

Aspen felt Stiles squeeze her hand, knowing she was up next. She wasn't sure how she was going to get through this as well as everyone else did. They'd all kept themselves together pretty well up there.

With a shaky breath, Aspen let go of Stiles' hand, as she stood up from her chair and made her way to the front. As she looked out into the audience of people—she imagined Allison to be sat in one of them. Her own.

"Allison Argent was someone I always felt destined to meet." she started out her speech strong, trying to feel Allison's eyes on her, watching over her like she said she would,

"The second I met her—I felt something click. It was like something just changed, like I felt complete... we always had this running joke that we were like two halves of a human that made a whole. But now that she's gone... I realise it wasn't so much a joke as it was the truth."

Aspen glanced up at Stiles, Scott and Lydia—and her own empty seat. She tried to picture Allison sat there—smiling, cheering her on.

"Allison once told me she wasn't scared of dying." Aspen continued, feeling a lump form in her throat as she reminisced the conversation that happened only hours before she died, "I asked why—because I didn't understand how someone couldn't fear the unknown. Because no-one really knows what happens after we die... but she told me she wasn't scared because she believed she'd find peace. She told me she'd watch over me if the day ever came where it was her time and not mine. She told me... she told me to live for her—do all the things in life I ever wanted, and all the things she never got to."

Aspen felt a tear roll down her cheek, and watched it land on the piece of paper in her hands. She wasn't really reading it out word for word—it was more like a guide.

"She told me to follow my dreams," Aspen continued, "She told me to do her proud..."

Looking up at everyone, finding most people were no longer dry-eyed since she'd begun her speech, a weak smile spread across Aspen's lips.

"Ali," she whispered, "I really, really miss you..."

Aspen paused, as she closed her eyes for a brief moment, remembering the exact quote Allison had said to her in one of her dying breaths. It was a line that had stuck with her, and made her smile.

"But we found each other once—and I promise, years from now, when we're both at peace...

I'll find you again."

THE END OF BOOK 2