[ 75 ] selfless sacrifice

Start from the beginning

Life was supposed to be peaceful right now. She wasn't supposed to be dealing with any crap right now other than her break-up, and planning a funeral. Those were supposed to be the only things she had to worry about right now.

She wanted to run upstairs and hide this letter under her bed—out of sight, out of mind. But just as she hopped off the chair and headed for the stairs—she heard footsteps. Scott and Melissa were both upstairs—so it couldn't be them. Out of fear, she reached for a knife in the kitchen. Sure—she didn't really need a knife for defence, did she? She was half-wolf-half-fox, she could take on an intruder with her bare hands if she had to. But still, she reached for the kitchen knife, and held it up in front of her with the letter in the other hand.

But when the so-called intruder revealed himself into the living room of the McCall household—Aspen let out a massive sigh of relief when she saw it was just Ace.

"Jesus Christ—" Ace's eyes widened when he saw the knife in his sister's hand, "what's with the knife?!"

"What's with the not knocking!" Aspen fired back, "How'd you get in anyway?"

"Scott and his mom haven't bothered to buy a new door, so..."

Aspen lowered the knife in her hand, still breathing heavily from the shock. Ace strolled on into the room casually, sitting down on the couch—not feeling the need to announce the reason he was here.

"Wh—" Aspen blinked, "What are you doing here?"

"I was bored..." Ace sighed—and by the looks of it, that was the whole truth, "Figured I'd stop by and spend some quality time with my little sister."

"Okay—well," Aspen replied, heading for the stairs again, "nows not a good time, so maybe later—"

"What's that?"

Aspen stopped in her tracks, really wishing her brother wasn't referring to the piece of paper in her hand. Slowly and reluctantly, she turned around to face him with a coy expression.

"What's what?"

"That." Ace said bluntly, pointing to the letter in her hand.

"Oh, this?" Aspen continued to play coy, "It's nothing, just some of Melissa's phone bills, I was about to go put it on her desk—"

"You're trying to lie to someone who can hear your heartbeat?" Ace cocked his head to the side, sensing something off about his sister's behaviour.

"Seriously— it's nothing." Aspen lied, "I'm just gonna go upstairs, as I said—now's not a great time. We can do some brother-sister bonding another time—"

Before she knew it, Ace was up off the couch and walking over to her. He grabbed the letter out of her hand, despite how much she fought him off. But he pried it out of his sister's grip, curiosity overcoming him as his eyes landed on the words on the paper.

Aspen watched as his face fell from his jokey laughter to pure horror over what he was reading.

"Were you ever gonna tell me about this?"

Ace's voice was just a whisper which broke a bit as he asked the question. He felt genuinely hurt that his sister kept this from him—or at least, tried to. And then it hit him—Aspen is the most selfless person he'd ever met. She'd do anything for the people around her—no matter the cost. And when he finally realised, he immediately shook his head at her,

"No." he told her bluntly, "No—you're not doing this—"

"I wasn't planning on it." Aspen cocked her head to the side, "I was just gonna hide it under my bed and forget it exists—"