49. The Prince's Proclamation

Start from the beginning

    Estelle pulled him into a tight embrace, pressing his head against her chest. She kissed his hair and stroked the Bond. Shadows drifted over him and Umbra tightened against his arm.

    "It wasn't your fault," she told him. "It wasn't your fault, Mikael. You couldn't help it. I'm sure they know that. Don't blame yourself for what happened to me. What might have happened is... We can't think about that. I'm here. I'm alive. I'm all right."

    "I'm sorry to have caused you so much concern," she continued. "I'm sorry I made that foolish decision, but I did and that can't be changed. What's important is that you found me. Madja, Amren, Feyre, and Lucien were able to help me. I'm all right. I'll be fine as soon as I'm fully recovered."

    Mikael managed to draw measured breaths. His tears subsided gradually. Estelle continue to hold him, stroking his hair softly. He gave a small laugh. "You're the one who almost died and yet you're comforting me. What have I done to deserve you, Batsy?"

    "More than I've done to deserve you," she replied. "My angel. My prince."

    Mikael lifted his head, laying a light kiss on her lips. "You have no idea how relieved I am," he murmured. "How afraid I was that I had lost you." He kissed her again. "I could not bear the thought of a life without you. My mate. My equal. My soul. I love you."

    "I love you too." She draped her hands around his neck, pulling him in for another kiss. At last, Estelle broke away. She twisted, her features contorting with some discomfort.

    "What are you doing?" Mikael asked.

    "I've been unconscious for four weeks. I feel disgusting. I want to take a bath," she replied.

    "Should I get your mother?"

    Estelle shook her head. "You can help me. It's fine."

    "If you're sure."

    "I am." He slipped his arm beneath hers and helped her stand.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Estelle examined herself in the mirror while Mikael filled the tub with warm water. She was paler than normal and her legs were unsteady beneath her. Estelle gripped the edge of the vanity until her knuckles turned white.

    "Ready?" Mikael asked, turning off the faucet.

    She nodded and he returned to her side. Estelle braced one hand on Mikael's arm as she stepped out of her pants, balancing haphazardly. "Madja said they aren't removing the bandages on my wings until tomorrow. I can't get them wet. If I can't lift them, you'll need to help me," she said, tugging her shirt off.

    A small amount of pain lingered in her shoulders following the movement. Mikael looked away briefly as she removed her undergarments. Estelle couldn't help but smile. "You haven't seen me fully undressed yet, have you?"

    "No," he replied, still not looking at her.

    She faced him, dropping her arms to her sides. "Well, I've seen every inch of you so it's only fair. No funny business though. It's not my father you'd have to fear if you fucked me right now."

    She heard the hitch in his breath. "Who would that be?" Mikael asked, lifting his gaze. He exhaled slowly, throat bobbing as he looked at her.

    "Madja. She's very particular about how her patients are treated while recovering." Admiration and desire simmered in Mikael's dark eyes. Estelle bit her bottom lip as she arched her back and clasped her hands behind herself, throwing her chest out further.

    "I think you should get in the bath now, Batsy," Mikael rasped. Estelle turned around, trying her best not to look at his pants and the leather that was now strained there.

    She stepped into the tub and attempted to lift her wings. Pain spasmed through her shoulder blades and down her spine. Estelle couldn't bite back a gasp. "Easy," Mikael murmured. He pressed his hands beneath the bases of her wings. "Lift slowly." Estelle obeyed and he helped hold them in place. She sat down and he eased her wings over the side of the tub. "Are you all right?"

    Estelle leaned her head back, closing her eyes with a nod. Mikael began to rub her neck and shoulders with firm but gentle strokes. The shadows were quiet and resting on her arms.

    "You are stunning," he breathed, planting a kiss beneath her ear. "Every part of you. I would die a thousand deaths just for a glimpse of you. A thousand more for the chance to taste your lips. To hear you say my name. For you to so much as look at me."

    "Yet, you are mine without any demands. You have given me all that I could ask for and more. You are all that I could ever want. All I could ever need. You are my completion. You are my heart. My soul. My very life. You are more precious to me than all of the riches, respect, and power in the world."

    "I love you." He kissed her neck and butterflies erupted within her stomach. "I love you." He kissed her shoulder. "I want to kiss every inch of you and prove to you how much I love you. I don't care how long I must wait to have you completely. It will be worth it. You are worth it. You are worth everything that I am. Everything that I ever will be. Everything I have ever been."

    "I love you, Estelle." Mikael kissed the corner of her mouth. "Oh, how I love you." His lips met hers at last.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Hours later, the door creaked open, revealing Nyx. Estelle set aside the book she'd been reading. Mikael was asleep on the bed beside her. The shadows were divided between the two of them, coiling around their arms and nestling in their hair.

    "Is this a bad time?" Nyx asked.

    Estelle shook her head. "I'm happy to see you."

    He entered and pulled her into a brief embrace. "I'm glad you're all right. Mikael was practically going mad with concern. We all were. I've told Calden, Celeste, and Sienna that you're awake. They'll be here to see you tomorrow."

    "All right." Estelle smiled wearily. "What is it?" She asked, noticing the excited gleam in Nyx's sapphire eyes.

    "I told my parents about Venelia. They aren't upset. They're going to help us tell Tamlin."

    Estelle tilted her head, inhaling deeply. "You accepted the Mating Bond!" She realized.

    Nyx nodded, his smile growing. "Venelia is going to come here, to the Night Court. She didn't want to tell her father alone and she knew she couldn't stay at Rosehall, so she agreed to come with me. We're going to be officially mated before returning to the Spring Court, so Tamlin can't keep us apart."

    "When are you going back?" Estelle asked.

    "I don't know. Not for a little while. We have several things to sort out first. She said she'll write to Tamlin and told him not to worry, but nothing more. I just hope he doesn't figure out where she went and think we kidnapped her or anything."

    "It will be fine, I'm sure."

    "She wants to meet you."

    "I'd be glad to meet her. When are you bringing her here?"

    "Tomorrow or the day after. Whenever she's ready. Tamlin is in the Autumn Court meeting with Eris so she has a little bit of time to gather what she needs."

    "Hopefully I'll be a little more myself by then," Estelle chuckled. She gripped Nyx's hand tightly. "I'm happy for you, Nyx. I really am."

    "Thanks, Essie." Nyx kissed her forehead and slipped out of the room.

    Estelle lay down and huddled closer to Mikael, being careful not to jar her wings. He made a small sound, tucking an arm around her waist. She gave a contented sigh, pressing her cheek against his chest. It wasn't long before she found the bliss of sleep.

◦═══✦═══◦

For a bonus scene between Nyx, Feyre, and Rhys, see my short story titled "Of Love and Politics" in my book "Beyond the Books".