Another 'Recon'?

21 BBY, Coruscant

I took a swig from the bottle. The bitter taste of whatever I was drinking slid down my throat. 79's never got old. I'm not drunk, but I've had enough in me to not yell at Crack-up for strip dancing on the table. The fuzz in my mind almost seemed to clear. There was something I was forgetting to do. Detta! I leaped out of my seat and sprinted to a taxi.

***

Detta sat on her bed, cross-legged. She appeared to be meditating.

"Detta?" She snapped out of her meditation.

"Oh thank the Force you're here!" She flung her arms around me. I awkwardly patted her back.

"What's wrong?" Detta pulled back but kept one of her hands on my forearm. Tears welled in her eyes.

"My family." She sucked in a breath.

"Do we need to stage another recon?"

"No...It's much worse."

"How much worse?" I asked her.

"The worst." Her shoulders shook with sobs. The worst. Although she didn't say it outright, I knew exactly what had happened. Her family had been sold into slavery. I pulled her into me, holding her tight.

"I'm so sorry." My voice wavered. Detta used to tell me her fears of being sold as a slave. Late at night when we waited to advance on the Separatists, or in hyperspace on the way to and from missions. She was scared for her life, just because she's a Twi'Lek. I was never scared that Detta would be taken, just because she's strong, brave, determined, and can take care of herself. But I was definitely scared of her being drugged in a cantina, just because she's pretty.

"Spitfire." She sobbed into my shoulder. "What am I going to do?"

"We'll think of something." I reassured her. I held her close and contemplated what to do. After a few minutes, Detta had calmed down and was able to tell me details.

"They've already sent Jedi and Clones to Zygerria." She inhaled shakily. "I haven't heard from the council. Based on what I hear, I'll have to make a decision." I huffed. Jedi. Their strange beliefs and teachings sure did get in the way. Someday, I think it'll be the death of the hokey religion.

"This might be another 'recon'." I gave her a weak smile and an overexaggerated wink. I heard a sound that I never thought I would. Detta...was chuckling? A light chuckle, but I could tell that it was genuine. Detta doesn't smile, or laugh at any joke. I had long gotten used to her callousness. But this shocked me. Detta was pretty regardless, but to see wrinkles around her eyes, made me blush.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I'm just not used to seeing you...laugh." I scratched the back of my neck to hide my face. 

"You're BLUSHING!" She pointed straight at me.

"What? N-no I'm not!" I reached behind me for my helmet. I have never wanted to die in a hole more than this moment.

"Yes, you are." Detta stood. "And you're stuttering." She grabbed my helmet. She was serious now. Sitting beside me on her cot, she met my eyes.

"What are you doing?"

"I just wanted to say...thank you." Detta sighed. "I couldn't do it without you." Before I could respond, she had me in another hug. This one felt natural. I sighed and wrapped my arms around her.