Bruised Ribs and Broken Hearts

3x21 - TOW The Chick and The Duck - After the heart-wrenching breakup, we see a small glimmer of hope for Ross and Rachel. What were their eyes trying to say in the living room? Why did he not let go of her hand? Here's a small glimpse into the beginning stages of the roller coaster of a story that occurred after Ross and Rachel were "Ross and Rachel."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She knew there was something he wasn't telling her. "What thing? What is this thing?"

"I was kinda supposed to be on TV tonight for The Discovery Channel." He realized that he was still holding her hand. She had long since made it up the stairs and no longer needed his assistance, but she didn't let go. His heart fluttered.

"Oh my God! Ross, why didn't you tell me that?" She hadn't been that close to him in weeks. His eyes hadn't been met by hers this deeply since that night that everything changed.

He saw her smile at him. He had spent so many sleepless nights recently, tormented by whether or not she would ever smile at him like that again. He felt his cheeks redden. Suddenly he was very aware that they were still holding hands. He let go, attempting to play it cool.

"Eh..cause I knew that if I told you, you'd make me go, and I knew you needed someone to be with you tonight. Come on." As soon as he let go of her hand, he immediately regretted it. He was willing to go to the ends of the earth to get her back. He'd go for it again, and if she rejected it, he could play it off as just trying to help her because of her injury.

She was stunned by what he had been willing to do for her, after how she had treated him so coldly the last few weeks. "I cannot believe you. That is the sweetest thing, I just...." She looked into his deep brown eyes and lost her train of thought. She hadn't gotten lost in those eyes in so long and they captivated her. In that moment, she wasn't afraid to look into them anymore. She wanted him to see her. They were her comfort. Her safe place. Her home. She could feel the heat from his skin against hers. They stood there, looking at each other, both afraid to speak, knowing the unspoken truth that if either said a word, the moment would be lost in time forever.

He hoped his eyes could tell her everything he couldn't. They pleaded with her, begging her to see how much he loved her. How much he was willing to give to do it all over, or at least to try again. He got as close as he could without touching her. But he could still feel the sensation of her against him. It took every fiber of his being to not kiss her. She stood there so perfectly, watching him, with the prettiest smile, but carrying the saddest eyes. He watched her lips as she fumbled with her words, ultimately choosing to remain quiet. In that moment, he knew that this wasn't the time for them. He didn't want to prolong the inevitable.

"You should get some sleep."

"Okay." She didn't want him to leave, but she didn't know why she felt that way and she didn't know how to tell him that.

"So, I'll umm..." He was desperate to alleviate the awkward situation that had been created but his words failed him.

"Oh, I'm sorry I spoiled your evening." Luckily she didn't have that problem.

"No, it's, no, as long as you're okay. So I'll uh, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah." He quickly walked towards the door, so fast that she couldn't even turn around quick enough to see him leave. She caught one final fleeting glance towards her as he pulled the door shut.