Chapter 3

Branch stood down in his bunker, banging his head repeatedly into his dirt wall.

"Stupid... stupid... stupid... stupid..." he mumbled to himself.

He sighed, banging his head into the wall one final time, keeping his forehead against the dirt, as he shut his eyes.

"I'm so dumb..." he whispered to himself. "Why would I ever think she would like me..."

     "Branch!" he suddenly heard in a shout from above ground. "Hey, Branch! Are you in there!?"

     He looked up, recognizing the voice. It was Poppy.

     With a sigh, he headed up his elevator, opening the hatch to see the love of his life smiling down at him.

     "Hey, Branch," she greeted.
"Hi, Poppy," he replied, pretending to not be upset, as he faked a smile. "What's up?"
"It's just... I was so excited about what you told me earlier, that I forgot to mention what I wanted to ask you."

     Branch nodded, climbing out of his bunker to stand in front of Poppy.

     "What do you need?" he asked, ready to do anything she asked of him. It didn't matter that she didn't love him back. He still loved her, and he would do anything to make her happy. To see that beautiful smile.

     "I was supposed to help R&B today, but then some other queenly duties came up, and I didn't want to let them down, so..." She looked away, rubbing the back of her head ashamed. "I kinda told them you would help. Sorry..."

     Branch smiled, rolling his eyes playfully, as he crossed his arms.

     "It's fine, Poppy," he assured. "I'll head over to Vibe Town now."
"Thank you, Branch," Poppy thanked, giving him a tight hug. "You're the best!"

     She pulled away from, smiling at him.

     "See you later... best friend," she said with a wink, nudging him gently with her elbow.

     Poppy quickly ran off, Branch's smile fading away.

     "Yeah..." he said softly, his ears drooping a bit. "See you later..."