nine|Impatient

Jazlyn

"Exactly, how long is this gonna take JB?" I popped my head into the two front seats where John B and Kiara were sitting. "I got another shift tonight."

We were all back in the twinkie. You could say we were "recovered" from the kind-of trauma we just went through but either way, there wasn't much time to process any of it.

"Just don't go. They'll forget you have a shift." JJ answers for them.

I sighed and squeezed back next to JJ as John B, Kie, and Pope went on with their conversation . "Um actually they're not, and that, JJ, is why you have a different job every month."

He scoffs and scoots more toward me, purposefully squishing me.

"Hey!" I slap his knee, as I was trying to put a bandage over the ripping stitches.

JJ and I locked back into their conversation.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels." JJ adds, catching on quickly.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B says frustrated, "My dads trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe John B." Kie sympathetically looks at him.

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay?"

"John B-" I sigh.

"No Jaz! I'm not tripping out. Our dad is missing, okay? And they don't get to act like they know how we're feeling. They don't get to push our hopes down to hell because it's not a totally believable idea!"

My eyes started to water knowing he was right.

"You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened."

"Yea, y-you just wake up every morning wondering." I add rubbing my eyes then locking with JJ's.

"It's been almost a year." Kie adds looking between us siblings.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility." JJ tried to lighten up.

I looked over to him and flashed a slight smile. He noticed how tired my eyes looked. He then, nodded to the side implying to sit closer. I  scooted toward him and laid my head against his shoulder, staring forward, zoning out of their conversation.

I was thinking of all the possible situations that could have happened to my dad. And also, why was JJ suddenly being so nice? Was it because of the "trauma" we've been going through? Or was it because he's beginning to be nice? And why did I find so much comfort in all his kindness? More than I have before?

After driving for a few more minutes we made it.

Redfield Lighthouse, our dads favorite place. I'm surprised I didn't think of it when I first saw it on the compass, it was so obvious.

We all filed out the twinkie, looking up at the tall light house.

"All right. Here's what's gonna happen. You two are gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B pointed at JJ and I.

I tilted my head in confusion and looked up at JJ to see we shared the expression.

"Wait...Why us?" JJ points to us.

"Because you're not coming." Pope deadpans.

"Why?" I throw my hands up.

"Look JJ, there are independent and dependent variables. and you're and independent variable."

"But he said the both of us! Helloooo?" I wave my hand in front of Popes face.