BONUS: Kaz vs. Felix Vs. One Bed Trope

Start from the beginning

Felix popped his head out of the blanket, his hair sticking every which way. "Thanks," he responded dryly.

Satisfied with himself, Kaz climbed into his own bed, determined to ignore Felix until morning.

"Just so you know, I sleep naked—"

"If you take off anything other than your shirt, you're out of here," Kaz warned him.

"Prude."

Kaz pressed his lips together to keep from responding. The faster he fell asleep, the faster he wouldn't have to deal with Felix.

"Don't be alarmed if I appear in your bed at some point in the night. I'm like a snake. I seek out heat sources."

"If you do then I'll treat you like a snake and chop your head off."

"Ouch. You pinned me as the type to not harm any living thing."

"Well, you're wrong. Humans and vampires are the exceptions," Kaz said, rolling over so that his back faced Felix. "Goodnight."

"Does that mean you wouldn't chop the head off a snake?" Felix asked.

Kaz closed his eyes, trying to urge himself to sleep. "No. Now stop talking."

"I knew it. Did you know snakes can slither at 12 miles per hour? And don't need lips to drink water. They also don't have eyelids. Some snakes have two reproductive systems. That means snakes can have two pen—"

"Felix!" Kaz cried, sitting up. "Shut up!"

Felix smirked at Kaz, the glow of his phone screen lighting up his face. "What? Don't like fun facts?"

Annoyed, Kaz fell back into his pillow hard. "I'm tired. I want to sleep."

"Don't mind me."

"How can I sleep if you don't stop talking?"

"You're talking, too. I'm not taking all the blame here."

Kaz grabbed another pillow and put it over his head, hoping to block out Felix's voice. "Please. Be quiet."

"You don't have to beg me," Felix responded, sounding amused, "but I admit I do like to hear it."

That's it, Kaz thought. Ignore him. Don't engage.

*

Felix's ears perked up at the sound of moaning. He listened closely for a moment, putting his phone down, and yes, sure enough, Kaz let out another moan. Felix couldn't believe his ears. He hadn't expected Kaz to be so bold.

But not even a second after he had that thought, Felix's humor went away. These weren't those kinds of moans.

Felix carefully climbed to his feet. A soft, yellow glow cast over Kaz from the nightlight in the corner of the room. Felix had thought about making fun of Kaz for it earlier but was glad he hadn't now. Sweat drenched Kaz's forehead and shirt. His head tossed from side to side as he groaned through closed lips.

Nightmares.

Felix knew them too well.

Felix reached out a hand and then paused as Kaz suddenly stopped moving. "Claude," Kaz spoke with startling clarity, but also with a pained tone that Felix knew was drawn from seeing someone you love hurt.

Swallowing, Felix pulled his hand back. He went over to the mini-fridge he'd seen when exploring Kaz's room earlier and retrieved a water bottle. It wouldn't be smart to wake Kaz up at the current moment.