Today's Trip-up [5]

Start from the beginning

"Oh my toasty turtles, who?" I asked, and she looked away shyly.

"I-I can't tell you Bubbles, it'll ruin the surprise," she timidly turned away. "But you'll meet him soon! He's very nice, I promise," she expressed and went back to her work. I pouted as I slipped off my things, but shook off the mood as I washed my hands. It's was time to bake!

The sun had now fully risen in the sky, and the pleasant hum of people in the shop were heard out in the front of the house. A tiny smile curled on my lips as I pressed my palm into the croissant dough. I would flatten it and then let it cool again for a bit, before actually shaping the pastries the next day. It was very satisfying, peeling back the dough from my fingers. I pressed this pan into the edges and sighed in pleasure, placing the tray on the cart before pulling off another one.

It had been a pretty steady day. There was always something to do, always something to make, it was that kind of easygoing day that you could just relax and work through. Today, I decided, was a feel-good lucky day. Mitsu came around the corner, her eyes wide. I looked up from my work and turned around.

"Bubbles!" she beckoned, waving me over. "There's someone here to see you!" I furrowed my brow and followed her out the door to find an ash blonde peering into the display case. "Uhh, Mr. Hawks?" She called, and he tore his gaze from the pastries and his face lit up as he saw me. "I brought out Bubbles," she said, before hurrying off to deal with a customer. I smiled suspiciously, coming up towards him.

"I'm a little busy, do you wanna come into the back with me?" I hiked a thumb over my shoulder, raising a brow. His eyes sparkled at that, and he nodded enthusiastically.

"But of course, I'd love to see where you spend the majority of your day hiding from me," he teased, and I puffed my cheeks. I opened the raising counter for him and guided him into the back, where a cozy, bright atmosphere was found with pastries galore. "Oh, this is definitely what I pictured when I imagined you working in a bakery," he breathed, wandering around. I settled myself in front of the croissant dough and began to pat it down, getting back into the feel of things.

"So, what's crackin' big bird?" I asked cheerily, and a smile twisted at the corners of his mouth. "Got any nice and uplifting heroic stories for me today?"

He snorted, putting his hands in his pockets. "Not really. Just a bunch of paperwork today, that's why I'm here for a bit," he explained, shifting his back a bit.

"Are you sore from sitting all day?" He blinked in shock before looking quite unsettled.

"What? No, of course not, I'm a hero," he said as though that were explanation enough. He nodded to the tray I was still currently beating down on. "What about you? How's your day been?"

"Well," I began, finally having finished this tray and pulling out a third. "This morning I baked off some cookies and then rolled up some more to put in the freezer. I iced some carrot cakes and put those in the fridge, I got started on some jam that should almost be done, I made a batch of muffin batter that'll be used up tomorrow, and I'm now just flattening out the risen pastry dough." I took two fingers and touched two trays. "Regular croissants," I said, and pointed at the last two trays, one of them in front of me, "chocolate croissants." Hawks whistled, looking at me in a new light.

"Damn," he commented, "you're a busy little bird aren't you?" I tilted my head to him, smiling in affirmation. "It's cute though, I like seeing you work like this. You're the kind of people that make me love doing my job," he admitted, his gaze softening. Blush exploded in my face, and I stepped away from the table, coughing. "You good? Here, I know what'll do ya a favour." He walked out to the front, and I could hear the sounds of voices from the back. He quickly returned and untied my apron, pulling me from my table. "C'mon, it's time for a break," he explained, and snuck me out the back door.