Chapter Thirty-Three: Till Death Do Us Part (Part Three)

The reception was not far from where the ceremony was held. In a large open patch of grass overlooking the ocean, there was a beautifully decorated table set up under a tent that had light bulbs hanging creating a warm ambiance. In the center of the reception, there was a dancefloor with string lights that hung across, and a live band playing soft jazz covers of popular music they didn't have to hear the lyrics to sing along. With a lit-up Mr. and Mrs. sign sitting just outside of the dance floor. Everyone had taken their assigned seats at the table just as the waiters walked in carrying trays of appetizers and drinks to the table.

Soon the table had been filled with small conversations that filled the space with a burst of laughter to explode now and then. But it seemed like none of the conversations his family was having seemed to capture his attention. Leaving him to be consumed by his thoughts and relive the conversation Billy and he had earlier that day. Battling a war within himself, he stayed quiet, fixated on a familiar set of eyes that sat across from him.

Admiring her eyes that sparkled under the luminescent lights that hung above them, her smile that captivated him, and her laughter that made the weight he'd felt on his shoulders, feel lighter. Olivia twirled the food on her plate stuck in a conversation with Jordan on his irrational fears about stickers on fruits. The feeling quickly disappeared hearing his coach's voice in the back of his head. Leaving him with the bitter taste of betrayal on his tongue.

His shoulders tensed as his heart tightened in his chest. Scrunching his eyebrows he decided to focus on his half-eaten plate in front of him. It was unusual for him to leave food on his plate, but his stomach had felt uneasy, and anything settling into him sounded awful as he could only think of how nauseous he would be. Instead, he picked at his food and ate a piece of bread that seemed to calm the uneasiness he'd felt. A tap on the leg brought him out of his thoughts to find a pair of eyes staring back at him. Olivia's infectious smile spread on his lips for a brief moment before quickly disappearing. Her mother tapped her fork on her glass bringing everyone's attention to hers.

Laura stood up already holding back the tears that had wanted to make an appearance. Clearing her throat, she looked around as her heart warmed seeing everyone she loved sitting around the table. Quickly wiping the single tear that escaped trickling down her cheek, she smiled lovingly holding the champagne glass with both hands. Looking down, she swirled the sparkling cider before looking back to her friends and family.

"Wow...there is so much I can say right now. But I just want to say thank you. Thank you for dropping your Christmas plans to spend the weekend celebrating Billy and me, and being a part of our wedding. It wouldn't have been as magical without every one of you a part of it. You have made this day even more special, and one I wouldn't forget. Even with the short notice, we were able to pull it off. I know this is not what any of you had planned that this is how you would have spent Christmas, but I couldn't think of a more perfect day than to remarry the man I love. Although I'm sure Hawaii was a bonus,".

A burst of shared laughter and a collective head nod proved her statement to be true. "I know...life for us has never been easy. But I cannot wait to whether the storm with you. Through calm or rough waters I promise to always be by your side," Laura smiled lovingly already lost in her husband's eyes.

Leaning in they clinked their glasses, sharing a kiss. An echo of awe's was heard. The sound of cheers and claps brought Spencer and Olivia who's eyes gravitated towards one another once again to the table as they now joined clinking glasses with their family. Sipping the sparkling cider, the jazz band started to play a familiar song they all knew to be special to Laura and Billy. Their wedding song softly played, as the tears Laura held in fell one by one down her cheeks.  Her mouth dropped in an instant looking towards Billy who already had his hand out waiting for her to take.