41. A Gift From the Heart

Start from the beginning

She joined her friends downstairs after gathering up several wrapped Solstice gifts. She'd left the ones for her parents and extended family at home, with a promise from Seren that they would be delivered. Celeste and Sienna had their arms full of packages too. They gave one another excited grins and ran out the door into the glistening snow.

◦═══✦═══◦

Mikael blinked his eyes open and rolled over. Cold sunlight streamed in through glass balcony doors. He knit his brows, briefly confused as to where he was. He remembered a moment later. The Palace. He was at home, instead of in the cottage at the Peregryn training grounds. His fathers had insisted that he be at home Solstice morning.

Mikael stretched his wings out and turned onto his back, lifting his arms above his head. He glanced at his nightstand with a smile. One of his gifts for Estelle rested in a box atop it. He reached for that glowing tether within his chest. Happiness and a small amount of sorrow emanated from it.

He closed his eyes, simply feeling the Bond. It grew stronger with every passing day. He could feel her. Feel her emotions. Occasionally hear her thoughts. Mikael knew what it meant. He had known for a long time. Perhaps Nyx was right and he needed to acknowledge the truth. He needed to accept it. The Bond. Mikael opened his eyes, his heart racing with excitement. The Mating Bond.

He hopped out of bed and hastily tugged on a shirt and a pair of pants. Umbra wiggled against his arm, sensing his happy mood. There was a knock on his door, presently. "It's open!" Mikael hollered.

"Happy Solstice," Thesan said, pushing the door open. He smiled, watching Mikael quickly fluff out his wings. "Your father and I wanted to give you our gifts before the others arrive. Come."

Mikael followed him on bare feet, letting warmth radiate from his body. Thesan mounted a flight of stairs. Mikael spotted Ameer waiting near the art studio. He swallowed nervously as his fathers opened the doors.

Two large canvases were covered by cloth in the center of the room. Ameer approached one. "Ready?" He asked, fixing his gaze on Mikael. Mikael nodded. Ameer pulled the cloth away, revealing the finished portrait of Samanya.

Mikael's breath caught and he approached the painting. Tears misted his vision as he touched his fingertips to her cheek. "Eleazar captured her likeness perfectly," Thesan murmured. "She's exactly how I remember her."

Mikael studied his mother's face, the face he had always wished he could remember. He wondered about her voice. Wondered if she could sing. He ran his fingers down her painted feathers. Would they shine like gold in the dawn light, as his own did? If she had lived, would she have taught him to fly instead of Ameer?

Thesan rested his hand on Mikael's shoulder. "This second painting is something I decided to have made for you. You might have noticed it the first time we brought you in to view this portrait, although it has always been covered. I didn't want you to see it until it was finished."

Mikael blinked rapidly and gave his father a short nod. "Show me."

Thesan tugged the cloth aside. Mikael choked on a sob and fell to his knees. His fathers followed him down, each gripping his shoulders in silent support. He couldn't hold back his tears. They fell with every uneven breath he drew.

The second painting depicted Mikael as he was now...standing next to his mother. She had one of his hands in hers and the other was stretched towards his hair, as though she were straightening his curls. There was a smile on her lips, mirroring his own. They both wore the official colors of the Dawn Court, gold and red, and their heads were graced by crowns.

"Is that really how she smiled?" Mikael rasped. "Like me?"

"Just like you," Thesan replied, his own voice thick with emotion.

He pulled Mikael into a tight embrace. Mikael closed his eyes, lowering his head into the crook of his father's neck. Ameer kept one hand on Mikael's back and wrapped his other arm around Thesan's shoulders.

"Thank you," Mikael whispered. "I love it."

They remained that way for some time. Mikael didn't open his eyes until his tears had ceased and his breaths were even. Thesan kept hugging him, stroking his hair gently.

"Where would you like them?" Ameer asked at last. "We can have them put up anywhere you want."

Mikael lifted his head, his gaze flickering between the two paintings. "I want the painting of the two of us placed with the other official portraits in the Great Hall. It should be visible to everyone, so that they can't deny who she is. The portrait of her by herself...I want in my room."

"I'll see that it's done," Ameer promised. He rose and headed off.

Thesan pulled Mikael to his feet. "Your friends will be here soon. We should be prepared to meet them."

Mikael nodded, following his father out of the art studio. He paused just once, looking back at the paintings. He smiled, his vision blurring again. He had his mother's smile. Samanya's painted gaze seemed to follow him as he left.

◦═══✦═══◦

Thesan and Mikael were waiting on a veranda when they arrived. With a snap of Thesan's fingers, all of their gifts disappeared. "I'll keep those for myself," he teased with a wink.

Mikael rolled his eyes, falling in step with Estelle. "He just sent them to the sitting room where we'll open them later."

"I guessed," she laughed. She laced her fingers with his, then paused, noticing the abnormally bright shine in his eyes. "Are you all right?"

Mikael nodded. "My fathers gave me their gifts already. They were...sentimental."

"What were they?"

"I'll show you." They turned down another hall as the others continued on.

Presently, they reached a vast corridor, leading to a set of golden thrones on a raised dais. The vaulted ceilings were inlaid with glistening faelights and intricate carvings. Chandeliers hung from the center of the arches. Paintings lined one wall and windows faced them.

Estelle recognized the High Fae featured in the portraits. They were the former High Lords of Dawn, and some of their wives, mates, and children. Mikael paused beside one painting in particular. Estelle stared at it in surprise. "That's..."

"My mother," Mikael finished. "And me."

She looked between him and the painting. "You have her smile."

"I know." His voice was hoarse.

Estelle cupped his face in her hands, pressing a kiss to his lips. "She was beautiful. I'm glad your fathers had this made. You look...so much like her. You're the perfect combination of her and Thesan."

"I wish I had known her," Mikael sighed, pressing his forehead against Estelle's. "I wish she had known you."

Estelle hugged him and the shadows traveled down his arms. Mikael closed his eyes, inhaling deeply. She brushed her fingers across his cheek, smiling. The shining threads within her chest almost seemed to hum with life. She reached out to them. Mikael opened his eyes, meeting her gaze. Had he felt her touch, she wondered? Did he know? Should she tell him? Should she acknowledge the truth of what these threads were?

Mikael leaned down, kissing the corners of her mouth, then meeting her lips. "Let's not keep the others waiting. Celeste gets very impatient, very quickly, when gifts are involved." Estelle nodded wordlessly and they left the hall, hands clasped tightly together.