40. Siphoning the Truth

Start from the beginning

"You said that the shadows know who the important people in my life are. Sometimes, they know them even before I do." She drew in a deep breath.

"They've always been fond of Mikael. The few times I saw him, before we'd ever even spoken to one another, the shadows would pull me towards him. They kept urging me to make amends with him when we didn't get along. They were always drawing my attention back to him, talking about him, and admiring him."

"They trusted him before I did, and they did their best to make sure I knew that. They were trying to prove something to me. They were trying to tell me something. I...I think I know what that was now. What they want me to realize... It explains everything."

"It explains my instincts towards him, and his towards me. It explains why we're so quick to defend one another. Why we're drawn together. Why we want, why we need, each other."

Estelle looked at Azriel. He watched her through shining eyes. "I feel this thing in my chest. It's always been there...I just wasn't aware before now. It's like this bridge, or tether. It glows faintly, and I can feel...Mikael. I can feel his emotions, hear his thoughts, sense him..."

Her heartbeat quickened and she drew in another steadying breath. "Dad, I think Mikael is my mate."

Azriel smiled. "You think?" Estelle hesitated, averting her eyes. "Don't be afraid, Little Bat."

"I'm not. I just don't know if I'm ready."

"You'll know when you are."

"Do you think Mikael knows?"

"I'm sure he at least suspects it." Azriel sat up and Estelle followed suit. She wrapped her arms around him, hugging her father tightly. Azriel returned her embrace, kissing her hair. "I only want you to be happy, Estelle. I want him to deserve you." He smiled, resting his cheek atop her head. "And so far, he's more deserving of you than anyone else you've brought home in the past."

Estelle snorted. "Thanks, Dad."

"I have something for you, by the way."

She lifted her head. "What is it?"

"It's your birthday and Solstice gift."

Estelle's smile faltered. "Oh, right. We won't be home for the Winter Solstice."

"The Boys will be with you, at least. Here." Azriel produced a small box and Estelle took it. It was much heavier than she'd expected. Something sparked to life within her veins, sensing whatever lay inside the gift.

Estelle's eyes widened as she opened the box. Two golden siphons glittered up at her. She met her father's gaze. "Siphons?"

He nodded. "Thesan told Rhys about the progress you've been making with your magic, and how powerful you are. We decided that you and the Boys should have at least two siphons each now, so you can start learning to actually use your magic. You'll receive more as needed. Do you know how to put them on?"

Estelle grabbed a set of wrist length fingerless leather gloves off a table and pulled them on. She situated the siphons in their proper place atop her hands. Estelle looked them over with a delighted grin. Already, she could feel her magic growing calmer, stronger, and sharper.

"Thank you!" She hugged Azriel again. "Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome." Azriel kissed her forehead and ducked out of the room. Estelle hurried into Celeste's to show her siphons to her friends.

◦═══✦═══◦

Mikael lounged on a sofa in the library, knees propped up and a book held over his nose. Snow scraped against the window panes, and he was grateful for the crackling fire on the hearth. He'd chosen to be alone today after finishing the list for the next exchange and sending it to his fathers. He had a lot to think about.

He'd hardly had a moment to himself the day before after he and Estelle returned. Her brother and cousins had barred him in his room and kept him there until they'd pried the truth from his lips. They didn't elaborate much on the story Estelle had told him about Ze'ev and his family, but they did express their own lingering concerns for her. Mikael had struggled to keep the knowledge of her last run-in with Ze'ev to himself.

After the Boys found out what else had occurred, Mikael spent a solid hour convincing Lysander not to strangle him. Corbin and Calden held Lysander back, while Nyx stood off to the side, as though he were considering aiding Lysander. In the end, they'd backed off, for which Mikael was grateful. He understood having an overprotective family, but he was growing a little bit tired of hers.

The library door creaked open and Nyx entered. "There you are. I was looking for you."

Mikael set his book aside, but didn't straighten. "What is it?" Nyx sat down across from him. Two sapphire gems sat atop his hands. "You were given siphons."

Nyx nodded. "Only two for now. I know we'll all need more in the future, but it's a start."

"All of you received siphons?"

"Yeah. Corbin's are an icy blue and Lysander's are emerald green."

"What about Estelle?"

"Dad said they gave her gold ones."

Mikael smiled. "Like her magic. I'm glad you all finally have siphons. You'll be able to channel your power better now." After a moment, he added, "And you don't have to be so worried about Estelle losing control."

Nyx sighed, running a hand down his face. "About that argument... I was worried, but that's not why I was so upset. There was something else going on and I took it out on you and Essie."

Mikael furrowed his brows, but said nothing. "The truth is..." Nyx sighed again. "The female in the Spring Court I'm seeing is Tamlin's daughter, Venelia. She's my mate."

Mikael's eyes widened in surprise. He sat up at once. "Tamlin's daughter is your mate?"

Nyx nodded. "We've kept our relationship a secret. Only Estelle knew before you. Now that I know we're mates though, it's only a matter of time before we're found out. Venelia doesn't know yet, but I think she suspects it. When we accept the Bond, we'll carry the mating scent. I'm afraid that Tamlin will do something to her because of me, and I took my frustrations out on you. I'm sorry."

"I understand. Is there anything I can do to help? Have you talked to Estelle about this?"

"Yes. She told me to tell my parents and then talk things over with Venelia. She thinks it's time we reveal our relationship and hope that being mated is enough to quell Tamlin's anger."

Mikael stroked his finger against Umbra as he thought. "Estelle is right. You'll have to come clean about it eventually. Why bother hiding the truth?"

Nyx lowered his head, giving the slightest nod. "I haven't been able to see Venelia since the snows began. You have no idea how difficult it is to be apart from her. My instincts keep telling me to go. To stay with her and never leave. Fighting those instincts gets harder every day."

"I know more than you realize," Mikael replied gently. "Tell your family, Nyx. They deserve to know, and you deserve your mate."

Nyx stood with a smile. "Thanks." He started towards the door, then paused as he reached it. "And I think you should take your own advice. Why bother hiding the truth?"

"What are you talking about?" Mikael's hand drifted subconsciously towards his chest.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." Nyx flashed him a pointed look and closed the door.